The USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene 'Penyehatan Lingkungan Untuk Semua' (IUWASH PLUS) program is a five-year initiative designed to assist the Government of Indonesia in increasing access to water supply and sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. Implemented by DAI Global LLC, IUWASH PLUS works with governmental agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following "high level" results:
• An increase of one million people in urban areas with access to improved water supply of which at least 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population; and• An increase of 500,000 people in urban areas with access to an improved sanitation facility and all of whom are from the poorest 40% of the population.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, IUWASH PLUS is guided by a development hypothesis that focuses on strengthening service delivery systems so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, IUWASH PLUS undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including: 1) Improving household WASH services; 2) Strengthening city WASH institutional performance; 3) Strengthening the WASH financing environment; and 4) Advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication.
To achieve these outcomes IUWASH-PLUS need high caliber incumbent to fill the position of
Business Development Specialist based in Jakarta Office (JOB CODE : BDS -JKT)
Task and Responsibility:
The Business Development Specialist will work under the direction of the WASH Finance advisor / Team lead Component 3 and will be responsible for directing the activities of business development to strengthen small enterprises in the delivery of WASH products. especially for the poorest and most vulnerable people in IUWASH regions. In addition to the above, Business Development Specialist will assist other Components and other IUWASH PLUS staff (both National and Regional level) in micro-finance and related activities that are designed to reducing barriers to household investment in WASH improvements.
The tasks and responsibilities of the Business Development Specialist will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Support IUWASH PLUS Regional program activities on business development of small entriprises through:
o Work closely with regional team (especially WASH Finance Specialist) in identifying local small enterprises of WASH product with the potential to support increased WASH access for poor and vulnerable populationo Conduct assessment of selected local WASH entreprises related to their strength and weaknesses in providing WASH products (technical, marketing, operational, management, financial) ando Identify suitable BDS partners and jointly conduct capacity building activities for selected local WASH entreprises following recommendations of the initial assessment leading to improvement of the WASH entreprise business.o Support Component 3 in preparation of IUWASH annual work plans and budgets resulting in agreed action plans, incorporating cost-sharing and /or leveraging of local and National stakeholders.o Engage provincial development banks as platforms for regional WASH investment.o Assisting in micro finance activities to obtain financial support from financing institution, such as development bank or other financial sponsors for WASH improvemento Maintaining regular contact with Regional WASH Financing Specialists, joining regular IUWASH meetings, and providing advice to Regional Managers, WASH Financing Advisor on priority technical issues.
• Support IUWASH PLUS activities with National stakeholders on strenghtening small enterprises association for WASH products accessible to all activities areas:
o Engage Association of Sanitation Entrepreneurs (APPSANI) and agree with them to include IUWASH training modules on management, accounting, and marketing for small WASH contractors; development of business certification standards; and compilation of a product marketing catalogue for APPSANI members.o Engage the Indonesian BDS Association and through them identify suitable BDS firms interested in support micro- small and medium wASH entreprises in IUWASH regions, including capacity bulding on obtianing micro-finance and improved business operation in close coordination with National Coordinator of Microfinance.
• Support WASH Financing advisor in the implementation of all activities under Component 3 and ensure strong linkages between Component 3 with other IUWASH PLUS Components, including: Component 1 (Improving household WASH services); Component 2 (Strengthening city WASH institutional performance) and Component 4 (Advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication).
• Identify opportunities and support activities to utilize the Local Sustainability & Innovation component to advance increased safe water access to poorest 40% of the population.
• Support the IUWASH PLUS M&E team, to implement the monitoring program to assess the quality and effectiveness of IUWASH PLUS interventions on strengthening small WASH entreprises, including direct support, where required, of the Activity Monitoring Plan (AMP)
1. Component 3 inputs into USAID IUWASH bi-weekly, quarterly, annual and final reports as well as annual workplans;
2. Component 3 products (technical and programmatic reports, manuals, event materials, etc.);
3. Articles, reports, publications, and other communications forums, highlighting IUWASH PLUS achievements or any other emerging issue of interest to IUWASH PLUS or USAID.
• Possess at least a university degree (S1) majoring in Economics or Financial Management.
• At least 5-years experiences providing technical assistance or as a consultant of small enterprises advising the entire phases of the business cycle including preparation or start-up phase’s activities.
• Experiences in micro finance in relation to seeking financial source to small enterprise to improve its business.
• Having experience developing strategic plan and financial projection and other analysis of small business in relation to the development plan.
• Having experience working with central and local government relating to the small enterprises advocacy would be additional credit points.
• Able to work independently in limited supervision/facility in his/her designated areas
• Excellent team player with a range of people, excellent interpersonal skills, with experience in community facilitation, training and organizing work
• Experience in report writing, preferable in English
Expected Start Date : Available immediately
Interested applicants are invited to send a complete application with 3 references to IUWASH_plus_recruitment@dai.
com before September 9, 2016.
Please write the job CODE in the subject line of the email. We regret
that we are unable to acknowledge receipt of all applications and only
shortlisted candidates will be notified.