Position : Short-Term Expert (STE) on Legal Affairs
Duration : 2 (two) months
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the biggest regional section of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) in which its Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia and hosted by the Provincial Government of Jakarta. UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people - more than half of the world population - and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, local finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment as well as good governance.
UCLG ASPAC is looking for a Short-Term Expert (STE) on Legal Affairs to be hired for 2 (two) month period. She/he will be placed at UCLG ASPAC Secretariat Office in Jakarta. The STE Legal Affairs is to work on legal affairs of the UCLG ASPAC’s project procurement on solid waste management. She/he must have legal skills and discipline. She/he shall report to the Project Coordinator of SWM.
Objective and goal:
- To provide opinion and advice on legal aspects of the existing project and ensure its legal safety.
- To provide comprehensive secretarial and administrative support to the Project.
- To ensure good communication and information flow on the project to external parties with safe legal consideration.
- To provide assistance in conducting research on different information, and in preparing documents on legal cooperation between UCLG ASPAC and external parties.
Scope of Work/Key Duties
Under this Scope of Work, the STE Legal Affairs will carry out the following key activities:
1. Contribute to the development and implementation of relevant legal strategies and plans of its projects.
2. Produce briefing notes on legal updates and development.
3. Develop legal responses of strategic importance through submissions to various bills and/or papers.
4. Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of all work.
5. Maintain strict confidentiality of personal and other relevant information.
6. Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities which may arise from time to time.
7. Perform other tasks consistent with the overall scope for this post as directed by Project Coordinator and/or Programme Manager/Head of Programme Division and/or the Secretary General.
Special Requirements of the Assignment
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in laws
· Minimum 5 (five) years of professional experience in the field of legal affairs.
· Experience on policy development/lobbying/
· Experience on report writing and policy formation.
· Advanced computer skills, particularly MS Office.
· Honest, trustworthy and demonstrate sound work ethics.
· Ability to quickly establish professional rapport with colleagues and other persons.
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines required.
· Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
· Effective written and communication skills.
· Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills.
Monthly plan and activities.
The post will be supervised by the Project Coordinator SWM
Datelineplease submit your application and CV to email@example.com with subject STI- Name Applicant before December 22th, 2016