NATIONAL SITUATION ASSESSMENT ON CHILD LABOUR AND CHILD SLAVERY IN THE COCOA SECTOR OF INDONESIA
Consultancy: Engagement and Relations Consultant
We are looking for a short-term resourceful consultant
to provide logistical, interpretation and local knowledge for
an international research team in Indonesia
Embode is an international consultancy agency dedicated to the promotion of human rights in business with a specialist focus on child protection, responsible business and organisational dynamics. See www.embode.co for more details.
Embode is undertaking national situational assessments on child labour and child slavery in the cocoa sectors of Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana and Indonesia commissioned by Mondelēz International with a focus on providing recommendations. These national situational assessments are part of Mondelēz International’s Cocoa Life program, which seeks to make cocoa sustainable through the empowerment of farmers and development of communities. Each national situational assessment will include a literature review, field research visit to the respective country.
Scope of Work
Embode is looking for a dynamic and resourceful national consultant to support the field research visit in Indonesia over an approximate period of 2 weeks to take place between 23 February and 11 March 2016 (dates are to be finalised). The consultant’s specific responsibilities will consist of facilitating the smooth engagement of the Team Leader and Research Specialist with national and local stakeholders in Indonesia. This will include:
· Coordinating, communicating and consulting regularly with the Team Leader before and during the field research visit in Indonesia.
· Making logistical arrangements, scheduling and bookings for meetings and events during the field research visit.
· Organise and ensure follow-up of the itineraries of Team Leader and Research Specialist during their field research visit.
· Provide translation and interpretation, where required, for meetings, interviews and other research events.
· Accompany the Team Leader and Research Specialist to all meetings and events as part of the field research study in Indonesia.
· Travel with research team to sites in Jakarta, South Sumatra and Sulawesi.
· Facilitate meetings with high-level national and local government, and other relevant organisations.
· Support and assist group discussions and consultations in communities with Team Leader/ Research Specialist.
· Provide important and relevant local knowledge in areas such as local infrastructure (i.e. transportation, government), culture/norms and such conditions.
The consultant will report to and be supervised by the Team Leader. Where the consultant has technical expertise in the area of child rights, there may be further scope to provide technical input to the assessment.
• High-level of fluency in spoken and written English and Bahasa.
• Well-spoken and presentable manner for purposes of formal and informal meetings and events.
• Credible experience and background working with government, international organisations or corporations in Indonesia.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; able to work with people from diverse backgrounds and maintain good relationships with internal and external stakeholders
• Strong information technology skills and competency in using Microsoft Office software
• Strong problem solving skills and ability to take initiative in delivering results.
• Ability to think in your feet and take initiative.
• Capacity to understand purpose of project and contribute creatively.
· Technical background and experience in the field of development, government relations or research, particularly child rights.
· Graduate qualifications in related field.
· An interest and curiosity in child protection, human rights and responsible business.
Child Protection Requirements
As this position may involve direct interaction with vulnerable children, the consultant will need to fulfil preliminary background and records checks before finalisation of contract, in accordance with Embode’s child protection policy.
Interested applications are requested to send a cover letter and CV to Aarti Kapoor email@example.com outlining why you are interested in the position and your proposed day rate by 5 February 2016.