Reports to : Programme Development Manager
Location : Yogyakarta with frequent international travel
Period : Until December 2017 (the first 3 months will be considered as probation period)
Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland e.V (ASB) is one of Germany‘s oldest and largest social welfare organisations. ASB has over 200 offices in Germany and a membership of 1.1 million. Core activities include the provision of public medical and rescue services alongside an extensive range of social service provision. Overseas, ASB‘s Foreign Aid Department operates mainly in the fields of humanitarian relief, return and reintegration, development and disaster risk reduction (DRR).
ASB Indonesia and Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower and build resilience through an inclusive whole-of-community approach. The ASB Philippines Community Resilience Programme was established at the beginning of 2015 and has the specific objective of strengthening the resilience of communities affected by Typhoon Haiyan via local partner led programming & increasing inclusive-DRR practice across different levels (local to regional). The Philippines programme is implemented through local partner led projects and is remotely managed from Indonesia by ASB. A key component of the work that ASB does across the region is implementing and promoting inclusive risk aware practice. ASB is also a founding member of the Disability Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction Network (DIDRRN).
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist will take a lead role in the design, management and implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework(s), plan(s) and reporting and knowledge Management for the ASB Indonesian and Philippines programmes. They will also support capacity development in the area of Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Knowledge Management for ASB staff, partners and other stakeholders as required. This position will work closely with ASB programme staff and partner organizations to ensure that MEL planning and implementation is inclusive, participatory, accessible, support both horizontal and vertical accountability and are in line with donor, ASB and government requirements.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
· Support the continuing development and implementation of the ASB Indonesian and Philippines programme, with particular responsibility for the development of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning frameworks, plans and Knowledge Management systems and implementation of these.
· Identify and document good practices and lesson learned within ASB programmes and more broadly as required.
· Provide knowledge management services including facilitating knowledge sharing and exchanges within Indonesia and PHL programming, including partners, and support project development.
· Support ASB partners in developing MEL plans and building capacity.
· Coordinate and ensure synergy across monitoring, evaluation and leaning and knowledge management components in ASB’s Indonesian and Philippines programmes.
· Manage monitoring, evaluation and learning data and activities and related budgets.
· Support research linked to ASB programs if and as required.
· Manage specific monitoring, evaluation, learning, knowledge management and research related staff if and as required.
· Maintain and support strong working relationships with ASB partner organizations, government and stakeholders as required.
· Support, and when required lead, capacity building related to monitoring, evaluation and learning and knowledge management for ASB staff, partners and other stakeholders as required, including when appropriate taking on a trainer and mentoring roles.
· Support and if required lead on reporting, documentation and ensure all project documentation, monitoring and evaluation components are gender, age and disability aware.
· Support the strengthening of networks and sharing of skills and learning between the Philippines, Indonesia and the region.
· Take on a representational role when required.
· Actively promote and ensure the inclusion of at-risk groups with due regard to gender, age, income and disability in all aspects of the programme.
· Input into ASB broader program development and work as required.
· Take on other tasks as required by the manager.
· Manage other staff if and as required and utilize ASB performance management processes and systems.
· Comply with ASB security and safety guidelines and code of conduct and actively contribute to a safe, secure and healthy working environment for all team members, partners and beneficiaries.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. Successful design and delivery of monitoring, evaluation and learning plan(s), activities and outputs for the ASB Philippines program and Indonesian program and projects.
2. Regular maintenance and updating of project work plans.
3. Regular coordination and updates with manager, other ASB staff, partners and when required stakeholders.
4. Monthly progress reports highlighting achievements, risks, issues and recommended courses of action.
5. Full, clear and professional documentation in line with ASB‘s internal operating procedures and regulations and expectations from funding and government partners.
6. Documentation of performance management processes for staff managed.
Skills and Experience Required
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with a demonstrable track record of success.
- Advanced qualification in evaluation, international development, program management, knowledge management or related field.
· Proven experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning, including design and implementation of frameworks.
· Proven experience in knowledge management.
· Experience in program design an advantage.
· Experience in one or more program fields of: Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Risk Management, Resilience, Climate Change Adaption, Sustainable Livelihoods and inclusive development an advantage.
· Experience in the Philippines an asset.
· High level report writing skills.
· Good communicator.
· Fluent written and spoken English and Indonesian required.
· Willingness to travel overseas required.
· Willingness to work in a team.
- Experience with PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Experience in data collection and analysis.
- Experience in facilitating learning and capacity development processes and training is an asset.
- Experience in working with civil society organizations and in strengthening their capacities an asset.
- A commitment to working in partnership
- A creative, critical, enquiring and flexible mind that is good at problem solving and logical thinking.
- Enthusiasm, energy and an innate desire to better oneself and to improve the work of those around you.
- Good cross-cultural understanding including experience working in multi-cultural teams and programs.
Women and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter outlining suitability to the position, a CV and an example of a written report or equivalent in English that is related to the role, by the applicant (note the document must have been written solely by the applicant) and contact details of three references.
Send the applications to Ms. Rosvita Walanda: email@example.com
using the subject line : PHL1401_MELS
Deadline 12 February 2016