Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Regional Advocacy Officer Green and Inclusive
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Senior Programme Manager Climate, Energy and
The Regional Advocacy Officer Green and Inclusive Energy will be part of the
Global team and the Hivos Southeast Asia office.
Energy is a vital for development. Access to affordable, reliable and
sustainable energy alleviates poverty, improve living conditions and propel
economic development. Hivos Southeast Asia supports a transition towards
100% Green and Inclusive Energy Systems that improve livelihoods, support
social services and create economic opportunities and growth for all while
mitigating climate change. Continuing along the fossil fuel route to harmful
climate change will have disastrous effects, especially for developing
Hivos Southeast Asia objectives on energy are: (1) to improve access to
sustainable produced energy for cooking, lighting and productive use, (2) to
develop renewable energy markets and promote entrepreneurship in the
renewable energy sector and (3) to call for green, fair and gender sensitive
energy systems in policy and investments.
Too much of the scarce resources of donors and recipient countries are spent
on supporting large scale fossil fuel based energy production. Hivos
Southeast Asia advocacy aims to shift this towards renewable and
decentralized energy production to prevent further climate change and
biodiversity losses and at the same time address the full energy needs and
rights of the poor. New developments such as the UN Sustainable Development
Goal for energy provide sample opportunities for Hivos Southeast Asia and
local civil society organizations to influence decision-making and funding
into this direction. Hivos wants to strengthen its position in this field to
influence and cooperate with governments and private sector at local,
national and international level.
The Regional Advocacy Officer Green and Inclusive Energy is part of the
Green Team in Jakarta and reports directly to the Senior Programme Manager
Climate, Energy and Development in Hivos Head Office under supervision of
the Programme Development Manager in Jakarta
Roles and responsibilities
1. To coordinate existing and initiate new advocacy strategies of Hivos
in Southeast Asia.
2. To support and cooperate with civil society organizations engaged in
energy access advocacy work in Southeast Asia.
3. Build and improve networks with non-energy interest groups and CSOs,
e.g. around health, consumers and trade unions
4. To develop networks and strategies with the private sector for a
joint approach in energy access advocacy
5. To manage the existing and new energy advocacy contracts with civil
6. Implement capacity development strategies for Hivos Southeast Asia
and its partners on energy advocacy
7. To develop advocacy positions and materials in close coordination
with the global climate and energy team.
8. To represent Hivos Southeast Asia in (advocacy) meetings in Southeast
Asia and act as spokesperson for Hivos on these issues.
9. Identify and analyze new approaches, cooperation and funding for
green and fair energy systems and Hivos role in this
10. To contribute to the Hivos overall organizational and policy
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. A master degree in environmental policies, sustainable energy,
environmental and natural resource management, economics of natural
resources or other relevant field. (Bachelor degree with several years of
2. 5 to 7 years work experience in a relevant sector.
3. An excellent understanding of energy and development policies and
experience in advocacy work.
4. Excellent communication skills including public speaking in English
and Bahasa Indonesia
5. Strong interpersonal communication and negotiation skill with private
sector, civil society organizations, government officials and community.
6. Good understanding of and strong affinity with civil society, in
particular with non-governmental organizations.
7. Capacity and willingness to strategize and work closely with private
sector actors and government bodies.
8. Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to
work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for ('Regional Advocacy
Officer Green') in the 'subject' line of your email. Only shortlisted
candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.