Environmental Defense Fund Project
Yayasan Bina Usaha Lingkungan
Yayasan Bina Usaha Lingkungan (YBUL) is a non-profit organization located in Jakarta, experienced and specialized in promoting and implementing programs in renewable energy, clean development mechanism and community based environmentally friendly small- and medium-sized business empowerment. YBUL works through education, capacity building, feasibility studies and policy advocacy. It also fosters access to microfinance and links small- and medium-sized businesses to technology, markets and financial resources. YBUL’s focus is on rural communities.
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy,Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. With programs from Boston to Beijing, EDF focuses on strong science, uncommon partnerships and economic-based approaches to solving the earth’s most urgent environmental challenges. The EDF Oceans Program brings together science, economics, policy and law to design and implement sustainable fishing for more fish in the water, more food, and more prosperous communities.
The YBUL-EDF Sustainable Oceans Partnership was established in 2015. EDF and YBUL have formed a partnership to unite marine conservation and community sustainability in Indonesia through reforms of fishery management benefit people and nature. We bring 25 years of hands-on experience and results, critical information, and handbooks to help guide stakeholders to design and implement sustainable fisheries management. We work in partnerships with governments and stakeholders and we design sustainable fishing that helps fishers and communities become stewards.
Senior Manager - Strategic Alignment and Partnerships
This position reports to the EDF project lead and will work closely with the YBUL-EDF Indonesia and EDF global teams. Consideration will be given to those with experience and expertise in natural resources including disciplines of science, economics, policy and/or communications. Candidates should have a specialty related to fisheries or be willing and able to gain needed knowledge.
The Senior Manager for Strategic Alignment and Partnerships will work with YBUL-EDF to develop and leverage partnerships with science and research institutions, governments, bi- and multi-lateral agencies, community organizations, indigenous groups, fishing industry representatives, and other private sector and non-government organization. S/he will be responsible for exploring and identifying new partnerships as well as managing on-going partner projects and relationships. S/he works with the Senior Fisheries Manager and YBUL-EDF staff as well as other professional resources to implement processes and systems for joint and shared project planning, work plans, donor relations, and grant proposals.
- Lead strategic planning within YBUL-EDF to develop and implement the Program’s priorities; identifies areas of joint interest to YBUL and EDF; coordinate and work closely with EDF’s fisheries solution center.
- Responsible to explore and identify alignment between YBUL-EDF and the marine conservation, food security, economic development and fisheries management priorities of government, private sector, university and NGOs.
- Create and manage partnerships that achieve the Program’s priorities; create appropriate partnership agreements, such as MOUs, to detail the commitment of the Program and partner to carry out specific roles, contribute resources, etc.
- As needed, work with the Program and partners to develop plans to increase the capacity and knowledge of the Program staff and partners to achieve mutual priorities.
- Responsible to monitor and report on the progress of partnerships including briefing teams and identifying follow-up needs, lessons learned, and new challenges and opportunities.
- Maintain and share information on sustainable fisheries projects throughout Indonesia and identify opportunities for learning and collaboration.
- Work with the Program’s Indonesia director to develop processes and systems to write partnership work plans and project proposals to successfully deliver services/expertise.
- Play a role planning and coordinating content and participation for workshops and trainings, including domestic and international participation.
- Work closely with diverse partners in Indonesia and EDF’s global team.
- Participate in and contribute to meetings, trainings and workshops.
- Minimum bachelor degree; masters preferred.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in a relevant field, such as marine biology, environmental science, natural resource management or government relations.
- Demonstrated experience working cooperatively with diverse people and interests.
- Established network of relevant government, universities, research institutions, private sector, and other non-government relationships.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects and complex partnerships.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and also independently.
- Possess proactive initiative.
- Strong English and Bahasa Indonesia skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude and work independently with little guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Ability and willingness to work from Jakarta office and home, and frequently attend meetings around Jakarta, Bali and other sites; travel periodically to project sites around Indonesia; likely to include infrequent international travel.
- Knowledge of Indonesia’s fisheries and/or natural resources laws, policies, bureaucracy. (preferred)
Please send a cover letter expressing your interest and qualifications (no more than one page) and resume or CV including three references (no more than four pages) email@example.com. The position will remain open until it is filled. (Only short-listed candidates will be notified.)
YBUL-EDF Sustainable Oceans Partnership
We help design and implement sustainable fishing for more fish in the water, more food, and more prosperous communities.
Who are we?
- Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is an international NGO using science, economics, policy and law to create solutions that let people and nature prosper. Yayasan Bina Usaha Lingkungan (YBUL) helps communities through sustainable development and entrepreneurship.Why do we work in Indonesia?
- Sustaining Indonesia’s marine ecosystems and fisheries is a global conservation priority.
- President Widodo has elevated the importance of sustainable and prosperous fisheries.
- EDF is working on reforms in 12 governments comprising 1/3 of global fish production.
- Many of Indonesia’s fisheries are increasingly overexploited and underperforming, putting the national economy and the livelihoods and food of millions of people in danger.What do we do?
- We bring 25 years of hands-on experience and results, critical information, and handbooks to help guide stakeholders to design and implement sustainable fisheries management.
- We work in partnerships with governments and stakeholders.
- We design sustainable fishing that helps fishers and communities become stewards.What are the principles of sustainable fishing?
- Government, fishers, value chain and other stakeholders are partners
- Science, economics and local goals guide management
- A sustainable catch limit and secure fishing privileges are essential
- Policies, capacities, and institutions can be strengthened to support sustainable fishingFor more information, please contact Thata Kurniawan—thata.ybul.edf@