Simavi is an ambitious, growing development organisation of more than 50 people, based in the Netherlands. Together with local partners, we improve the health of people in the poorest regions in developing countries. With more than one hundred partners we work together with communities. We influence the policies of governments to take into account the health and rights of the poorest people. We campaign to engage the general public and involve them in what we do. We focus on the poorest regions of nine developing countries in Asia and Africa.
Simavi has been operational in Indonesia since 1925 by working through local NGO partners both in WASH and SRHR sectors. From 2010 to 2015, Simavi coordinated a consortium of five Indonesian NGOs implementing a water sanitation and hygiene programme in Eastern Indonesia. As of 1 January 2016 Simavi is implementing a new programme named SEHATI (Sustainable Sanitation for Eastern Indonesia) as the next phase of the previous one. For this programme Simavi is looking for an experienced, ambitious and dynamic:
Programme Manager SEHATI
This vacancy is open to Indonesian nationals only
The Programme Manager (PM) is responsible for the daily management of the SEHATI (Sustainable Sanitation for Eastern Indonesia) Programme. This includes assisting the partner organisations in the implementation of the programme, monitoring the progress, providing technical assistance to partners, as well as contributing to the coordination with relevant stakeholders.
SEHATI is a new programme that will be implemented by a consortium of Simavi and five Indonesian NGOs in 7 districts in Eastern Indonesia. The duration of the programme is 3.5 years.
The programme aims to increase the capacity of the local government at district and sub-district level, and in selected villages to implement a sustainable district-wide STBM 5-pillar strategy, as part of achieving the government target of universal access to water and sanitation. It includes lobby and advocacy component and contributes to sector-wide national advocacy.
Position in the organisation
The PM reports to the Country Representative (CR) in Indonesia and leads the SEHATI Programme Team in Indonesia.
Tasks and responsibilities
1. Management of SEHATI Programme in Indonesia
- Responsible for the daily implementation of SEHATI
- Develops a work plan (and revises job description as necessary) for the local team. Coordinates and supervises the partner organisations in programme implementation, strategy development, PME and documentation.
- Coordinates and supervises the partner organisations in the creation and functioning of the enabling environment to assure the sustainability of the achievements after the SEHATI programme.
- Consolidates the work plan and budget plan for the programme in coordination with the partner organisations.
- Leads the development of the SEHATI programme’s lobby and advocacy strategy, with support from SPO (Senior Programme Officer) and Lobby Advocacy Officer at the headquarters.
- Monitors partners’ contracts and SEHATI programme budgets jointly with the SPO and FC.
- Contributes to the development of proposals for additional funding to support SEHATI.
- Monitors progress and performance of supported partners, and implementation of programme components on the basis of reports and field visits.
- Ensures timely and quality reporting on the programme to Simavi headquarters.
- Ensures that capacity building/technical missions and evaluations by external consultants are organised.
- Acts as the main point of contact for the partner organisations and Simavi headquarters in relation to SEHATI.
2. External communication and relationship management
- Maintains active and pro-active communication with the SEHATI partners involved and with Simavi headquarters in the Netherlands as necessary.
- Initiates and manages relations with relevant actors/stakeholders in Indonesia (EKN, government, other NGOs, government, private sector, and potential donors in the field of water and sanitation).
- Represents Simavi in workshops, meetings, or other events in Indonesia related to SEHATI, together with the CR.
- Promotes SEHATI Programme in Indonesia whenever possible and relevant.
3. Management of staff
- The Programme Manager line manages the SEHATI programme team.
- Conducts the yearly performance and development cycle meetings (i.e. planning, progress, appraisal) with staff under his or her supervision.
- Manages the wellbeing of staff under his or her supervision.
- Reports to the CR with regard to HR issues in his or her team.
- Approves leave days in consultation with the CR.
- Is involved in the development of job descriptions and/or terms of references and/or recruitment for his/her team when applicable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant working experience in the field of international development cooperation and civil society processes
- Master degree in development studies, or other relevant field
- Considerable knowledge and experience in lobby and advocacy and/or knowledge of the Indonesian government system is a requirement
- Considerable experience with the development of capacity building programmes, preferably in the Indonesian WASH sector
- Experience in working with different types of stakeholders/clients such as the government, local NGOs, community members, private sector
- Practical experience with the Indonesian public sector system, preferably with experience and knowledge in the government planning and budgeting system
- Sound knowledge of the current developments, research, best practices and global policy direction in the WASH sector at large, and especially in the areas of sanitation (CLTS and social marketing approaches), hygiene promotion, school sanitation, environmental programming, drinking water and programme integration with health and education
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English as well as Bahasa Indonesia to convey complex and technical issues in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to question and challenge people in a constructive manner, but also to work with diplomacy and creative problem solving techniques when interests and opinions differ
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, take initiatives, and get results in the framework of a strategy
- Pro-active attitude and is capable to operate in a flexible and pioneering environment.
- Comfortable in a wide range of cultural and operational situations, demonstrating culturally sensitive behaviour with a diverse range of people
- Team player, but can also work independently and shows initiative
- Ability to represent Simavi in various situations
- Computer skills such as spreadsheet, e-mail, database management and word processing
Jakarta, Indonesia, with some travel to the districts.
1 year consultancy contract (fulltime) with possible extension and good primary and secondary conditions. Consultancy fee will be between 22 and 26 million Rp / month (incl. VAT and other costs) depending on qualifications of the selected candidate.
The selected candidate will be asked to attend the inception workshop from 28-31 March 2016 if s/he can’t start immediately.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Dinnia Joedadibrata via email@example.com
To get to know our organisation, please visit our website www.simavi.org.
Do you recognise yourself in the profile? Candidates are invited to apply before February 29th 2016. Please send your letter and resume (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org, using reference "Programme Manager Indonesia".
Apply only when you fit the total job description. References will be checked.
Interviews are aimed to take place between 7 and 11 March 2016.
Commercial inquiries or job postings are not appreciated or accepted regarding this vacancy.