Kopernik is an exciting, fast-growing, cutting-edge organisation tackling technology distribution challenges. We emphasise a hybrid philanthropy-business model in achieving our mission - different from the traditional charity approach of giving away goods and services for free.
Our team works tirelessly to put the last mile first. Our culture shapes the way we work. We value action, we get things done, we are open and transparent in everything we do, and we always look for ways to innovate. We come to work with a smile, which is easy when a strict no jerks policy applies.
DURATION : 3 MONTHS
We are currently recruiting a highly talented and motivated Food Safety Consultant to work with us to test out and implement our new Depot Desa concept. You will work directly with the Kopernik’s co-founders and a small team on this new initiative.
The majority of Indonesia`s 80 million smallholder farmers live below the poverty line. Indonesian farmers produce food crops (such as rice, cassava, maize), fruits (such as banana, mango and pineapple), smallholder estate crops (such as coconut, palm sugar, rubber) and high value crops (cashew, cacao, coffee).
The farmers typically sell small quantities of their crops at very low prices. They either process the crops manually, which limits the quantity they are able to sell, or they don't process or add any value to them at all, which results in low selling prices, limiting the income the farmers earn, keeping them in a cycle of poverty.
The Depot Desa is a village level center that provides agro-processing services on a pay per use basis, for smallholder farmers' crops such as rice, maize, coconut, cashews and cacao (among others), and enables them to process more produce faster, and to add value to their crops and sell them at higher prices. The Depot Desa is innovative in four ways: i ) it focuses on post-harvest processing, rather than inputs (such as seeds and fertlizer) already provided by government, ii) it bundles many agro-processing technologies in one location accessible by village farmers, such as flour mills, cashew openers and solar powered rice hullers, iii) it uses 'appropriate technologies', and iv) it provides farmers with linkages to market to sell their value added crops. Through the use of Depot Desa, farmers are expected to increase their income enabling them to move themselves out of the poverty cycle.
As Food Safety Consultant for Depot Desa you will help us establish the food safety protocol in two Depot Desa in East Flores. The position is based in Larantuka, East Flores, NTT.
- University Qualification in Food Technology, Food Science, Agriculture or similar
- Minimum 5 years experience in Quality Control/Assurance/Food Safety in food or agriculture industry.
- Demonstrable knowledge of aflatoxin safety and experience with aflatoxin management and testing.
- Positive attitude, reliable, motivated, and passionate about social impact.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- English and Indonesian language skills.
- Computer literate and tech savvy.
- Indonesian national.
- Liaise with our market partners/buyers to determine their requirements on food and health standards.
- Develop SOPs for Depot Desa to ensure compliance with food and health standards.
- Set up the quality control system.
- Ensure the quality of the products processed at Depot Desa meet the quality standards and specifications set by market partners.
- Train team and selected farmers on compliance with food and health standards.
- Others as required.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE MARCH 27TH 2016
Only Candidate who send CV, cover letter and one minutes video explaining why they are perfect for the job via our website will be considered. Please visit our website: https://www.kopernik.