Junior Environmental Economist
March 14, 2016
December 31, 2016 (with possible extension)
Type of contract
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) seeks to hire a Junior Environmental Economist to support their collaborative green growth program with the Government of Indonesia (GoI) in East Kalimantan (EK).
GGGI is an international organization founded in June 2010 (www.gggi.org). GGGI is dedicated to pioneering and diffusing a new model of economic growth, known as “green growth”. This simultaneously targets key aspects of economic performance, such as poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion and those of environmental sustainability, such as mitigation of climate change and security of access to clean water. GGGI’s approach is particularly suited to developing countries because it starts from broad-based progress in living standards and growth. Since 2013, GGGI has worked in close collaboration with the Government of Indonesia in the GoI-GGGI Green Growth Program (GGP).
The Jakarta office is offering a consultant position within a varied and dynamic team, who will play an integral role in supporting GGGI’s sub-national work with EK province and selected district governments, such as Kutai Timur (KIPI Maloy), Mahakam Ulu, and Penajam Paser Utara (Kariangau and Buluminung). The post holder will be based in Samarinda to support mainstreaming of green growth. The position will have dual-reporting lines to GGGI’s provincial and Jakarta offices.
He/She will play an active role in identifying the East Kalimantan government’s economic development priorities, provide information on how green growth can help achieve these goals, and provide data for economic valuation. In addition, he/she will support GGGI’s capacity building efforts through workshop/FGD preparation. The position is also expected to support relevant program activities in East Kalimantan as needed.
1. Supporting Senior GGGI’s Environmental Economist to work closely with local governments to mainstream green growth into their development plans by providing data, information, engagement/represent GGGI in technical meeting on green economic growth/regional planning with related stakeholders.
2. Identifying opportunities to mainstream green growth in East Kalimantan program/ project development, including in selected districts.
3. Participating in government-run workshops and FGDs related to the target development plans.
4. Working as part of the hybrid teams that GGGI has established with each of our GoI counterparts at sub-national level.
As a supporting member of a small but diverse program team, he/she will have multiple responsibilities and will need to be flexible and responsive to sometimes rapidly changing needs and tight deadlines.
- Bachelor in economics, preferably with a focus on environmental economics or economic development.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience, ideally with an international organization or NGOs.
- Having knowledge and experience in using economic assessment tools that value environmental and social costs and benefits.
- Outstanding communications skills, working fluency in English.
- Ability to deliver quality products independently.
Applicants must hold exemplary and relevant academic credentials as described above. To submit your application please send a cover letter describing why you are most suitable for the position attaching your latest CV to Gema Junita (email@example.com) by March 5, 2016.