Project: South-South and Triangular Cooperation - Networks for Global Governance” (SSTC/NGG)
Capacity Assessment for the National Coordination Team for South-South and Triangular Cooperation in Indonesia
Estimation of Contract: April - July 2016, up to 32 working days
Duty Station: Jakarta, Indonesia
Indonesia is playing an important role on the international stage. As an active member of the G20, the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation (GPEDC) and the High-Level Panel on the Global Development Framework beyond 2015, the country has taken responsibility in shaping global policies. One key element of this development is the heavy engagement of Indonesia in the area of South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC) which also directly corresponds to the Sustainable Development Goals; goal 17 in particular.
To further improve the coordination and also to develop binding standards for the related institutions in implementing their programs in SSTC, a National Coordination Team for South-South and Triangular Cooperation (NCT) has been established. This team comprises of the Ministry of National Development Planning (Badan/Kementerian Perencanaan Pembangunan Nasional/BAPPENAS), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Kementerian Luar Negeri, KemLu), the Ministry of Finance (Kementerian Keuangan, KemKeu) and the Ministry of State Secretariat (Kementerian Sekretariat Negara, SetNeg).
Since its establishment in 2010, the National Coordination Team (NCT) has successfully developed coordination mechanisms between its member ministries, line ministries and other relevant partners and stakeholders. Through the establishment and continuous development of the NCT Indonesia has been able to strengthen its international position in the SSTC sector. Further, the current Medium-term National Development Plan (Rencana Pembangunan Jangka Menengah Nasional/RPJMN 2015-2019) defines SSTC as one of the priorities of the country and strengthening of the capacity and capability of the NCT members as one of the strategies for the reinforcement of Indonesian SSTC.
The NCT reached a vital point of its development where an overview over achievements and challenges is conducive to its further progress. During a meeting of the NCT-members it was agreed to examine NCT’s capacities and experiences in order to facilitate institutional learning. It was agreed that the joint Indonesian-German Cooperation project SSTC/NGG will support NCT in this activity.
CONSULTANCY SERVICE FOR CAPACITY ASSESSMENT OF THE NATIONAL COORDINATION TEAM FOR SOUTH-SOUTH AND TRIANGLUAR COOPERATION IN INDONESIA
A. Purpose of the Consultancy Assignment
The purpose of the assignment is to provide both strategic and operational technical assistance and advisory services to the NCT in assessing its capacities, achievements and lessons learnt. The technical assistance will focus on the organizational and operational levels of the NCT in order to identify capacity needs and to formulate capacity development strategies.
B. Scope of the Consultancy
1. Master plan and mandate of NCT;2. Organisational structure, processes and procedures of NCT for coordination, communication and cooperation between NCT members;3. Approaches, processes and procedures of coordination, cooperation and communication of NCT with external actors (e.g. line ministries, think tanks, development partners) as well as planning, implementation and M&E of NCT implemented SSTC projects;4. Outline of a capacity development strategy based on the assessment.
Under the supervision of NCT and GIZ, the tasks of the short-term expert include but are not restricted to the following:
· To support the organization of a Kick-Off workshop and act as resource person.
· To review international and national policies regarding the SSTC sector and the NCT;
· To recap mandate and master plan of the NCT in the context of national and international SSTC.
· To support NCT to examining the current formal management system and organizational structure of NCT and Secretariat also against the recent international developments (e.g. 2030 Agenda).
· To provide comprehensive recommendations and a strategy for developing institutional and operational capacities, competencies and procedures.
D. Expected Deliverables
· Preparing the Kick-Off Workshop and acting as resource person presenting objectives, methods and expected results of the Capacity Assessment;· Recap of SSTC relevant national policies/documents and its effects on the NCT as background information;· Documented (booklet or presentation, etc.) achievements, lessons learnt and performance gaps regarding NCT’s internal coordination and cooperation mechanisms (including organizational structure, processes and procedures);· Documented (booklet or presentation, etc.) achievements, lessons learnt and performance gaps regarding NCT’s external coordination and cooperation mechanisms including implementation procedures for SSTC projects;· Identifying and categorizing of external NCT partners on strategic and operational level, national and international (e.g. civil society, academia, private sector, public sector, line ministries, centers of excellence, etc.);· A comprehensive short- and medium-term capacity development program with practicable activities and support interventions to bridge the institutional and operational capacity needs at Secretariat and NCT level identified in the assessment;· Debriefing event for relevant parties;· Final report, including executive summary.
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Graduate degree with five (5) years of experiences or post-graduate degree with minimum three (3) years of experiences in International Development Studies or Public Policy or other relevant discipline;
- At least five (5) years of experiences in International Development Cooperation (IDC) in developing countries working with governmental and international organizations;
- Thorough knowledge of and experiences with laws, policies and regulations concerning IDC and SSTC, nationally and internationally;
- At least five (5) years of working experiences with organizational development and institutional change concepts
- At least five (5) years of experiences in developing capacity development strategies;
- At least five (5) years of experiences in carrying out capacity assessments;
- At least three (3) years of experiences in project/program management;
- Deep understanding of formal and informal procedures, structures and administration of Government of Indonesia;
- Proficient in data collection/analysis, report/publication writing and results presentation;
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English (written and oral communication);
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively in the Government context;
- Previous professional experience abroad, e.g. Europe, US and/or Asia is an asset.
Other knowledge / competences / Requirements
- Indonesian national;
- Willingness to up-scale tasks as required after prior agreement;
- Strong managerial and organisational competence.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Tentative Start of Assignment: April 2016 until July 2016, up to 32 working days
The details of the assignment will be further discussed and agreed by the two parties.
Kindly send your comprehensive resume and salary expectation to firstname.lastname@example.org with CA-NCT code as email subject by 31 March 2016.
For further information please contact Mr. Mickael Hoelman at email@example.com.