Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer -SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Field Project Manager-SII
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the ‘Iconic Island’. Hivos Southeast aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy to the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency on fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the world.
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is working to achieve two outcomes, including:
1) Improvement of rural livelihoods through utilization of renewable energy in rural communities; and
2) Sustainable business models to create market (energy market and energy appliances market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The ME&L Officer (SII) is responsible for monitoring, evaluation and learning dimensions of Sumba Iconic Island programme and operates in accordance with the Hivos Southeast Asia policy and donor requirements, which in this case is the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I). The ME&L Officer works closely with Field Project Manager SII, PM/Deputy PM Green Energy, Hivos Southeast Asia’ DMEL Officer and Consortium Partners (Village Infrastructure Angels, Winrock International and Yayasan Rumah Energi) to accurately monitor the phases of the project to ensure proper roll-out, monitoring results indicators using the SMART concept and analysing the evaluation results. S/he translates the project’s Result Chain into tangible indicators for monitoring and evaluation; analyses, validates and aggregates outputs, outcomes and learning in all phases of the process, in close partnership with other project staff.
Together with Hivos Southeast Asia’ DMEL Officer, the ME&L Officer validates the potential sustainability and scalability of innovations, experiments and tests solutions through formative, summative and real-time evaluation on the basis of relevant expertise and experiences and also manages the assessment, validation and improvement of performance during the project cycle itself. At the beginning, s/he focuses on the procedural and logistics aspects of accountability and transparency: data collection, reporting, etc and in a later stage wilkl take the lead on collection of material and writing the best practices/lesson learned from the Sumba Iconic Island project.
The ME&L Officer will lead in delivering fact-based evidence according to the proposed project outputs based on MCA-I’s requirements and will enhance the quality of new and/or ongoing project activities.
The ME&L Officer position is part of the Sumba Iconic Island programme delivery team, coordinating with Hivos Southeast Asia and consortium partner’s M&E staff. The ME&L Officer provides the technical evidence to be used by the Sumba Iconic Island projects teams and works in close partnership with all positions mentioned above, to provide back-up and support to successfully implement activities and put forward proof to convince donors of Hivos Southeast Asia’ Theory of Chance and operational capacities.
Roles and responsibilities
- To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realising 100% renewable energy at Sumba.
- To sharpen, manage and implement the monitoring evaluation and learning framework and systems according to the MCA-I reporting templates and data collection tools.
- To ensure project compliance with MCA-I reporting requirements.
- To coordinate, manage and be responsible for data collection from the field, analysis and reporting performance indicators by programme/project team members and programme/project counterparts with Hivos DMEL Officer.
- To provide overall management for the implementation of the framework in coordination with Hivos Southeast Asia DMEL Officer.
- To coordinate or facilitate specific areas of data collection as defined in the framework.
- To assist the project staffs in the development of regular progress reports according to MCA-I requirements.
- To regularly review and update the project’s monitoring evaluation & learning plan.
- To assist on the progress of the project, including: monitoring and evaluation of the impact and outcome, providing regular progress report.
- To be responsible in research, studies and survey and evaluation activities.
- To prepare lessons learned from the project and develop a plan for future activities.
- To support the knowledge dissemination through trainings, mentoring and field visits.
- To contribute to Hivos Southeast Asia’s overall organizational and policy development.
- To be a reliable and supportive team member to the whole team.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
- Relevant work experience: at least 3 years.
- Experience with project and programmme monitoring and evaluation
- Extensive experience in developing M&E framework and its ongoing management within renewable energy issues
- Work experience in an international environment.
- Track record in writing/compiling/editing proposals
- Excellent understanding on data collection methods and analysis raw data into project intelligence.
- Is attention to details and a good team player
- Passion in development sectors would be an advantage
- Having respect for a humanitarian or humanist principle and willing to work in a non-discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal environment.
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter email@example.com no later than 24 April 2016.
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘ME&Learning Officer-SII’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.