Institut Penelitian Inovasi Bumi (INOBU) is an independent, non-profit Indonesian research institute. Through innovative research, policy analysis, technology and alliance-building, INOBU seeks to improve public policies and strengthen civil society to sustainably manage Indonesia's natural resources and agricultural production systems, throughout the life-cycle of products. INOBU is staffed by leading Indonesian researchers in the fields of environmental policy, law, economics and spatial analysis. INOBU actively engages government, civil society and communities in the design and dissemination of the results of their research and innovation.
The Spatial Scientist will be responsible for three areas:
1. Land use and land cover analyses including calculating deforestation rates and greenhouse gas emissions as well as land suitability analyses and image classification;
2. Geographical Information System (GIS) analyses and system design for mobile devices and online systems; and
3. Providing training in the areas of remote sensing and GIS.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
· Master of Geographical Sciences, Information Technology, Surveying or equivalent;
· Fluency in Indonesian and English;
· Minimum five years of experience in working in the fields of geographical sciences or information technology;
· Experience using ArcGIS, QGIS or other open source GIS software;
· Experience using ENVI or other remote sensing and image classification software;
· Experience in image classification and conducting land use/cover change analyses;
· Familiarity with programming languages including R, Python, Java and C; and
· Experience designing web and/or mobile applications for mapping, displaying and using spatial data.
LOCATION: Denpasar, Bali (with some travel throughout Indonesia).