Title: WaterCredit Manager
Reports to: Indonesia Country Director
660 million people – about one in ten – lack access to safe water. More than twice that many, 2.4 billion people, don’t have access to a toilet. These are the people Water.org serves. We are a global non‐profit based in Kansas City, Missouri working to ensure safe water and sanitation for all. We go beyond traditional approaches to safe water and sanitation, focusing on addressing the underlying causes of this global crisis and innovating to deliver large‐scale and sustainable change. Co‐founded by Gary White and Matt Damon in 2009, Water.org has impacted more than 3 million lives and transformed thousands of communities in Africa, South Asia, and Latin America. Learn more at http://water.org/
Water.org launched operations in Indonesia in early 2014 and seeks to build relationships with a broad range of financial institutions (microfinance institutions, commercial banks, BPRs, cooperatives) and water/sanitation service providers.
Water.org seeks a highly skilled and highly motivated WaterCredit Manager to support its growing portfolio of WASH microfinance programs in Indonesia. This full-time position will be based in Jakarta with regular travel throughout Indonesia.
The WaterCredit Manager is responsible for managing and supporting Water.org teams and partner financial institutions in the launch of water and sanitation financial products. This position is able to lead and manage WaterCredit Officers and partners in topics such as program design and implementation, WaterCredit, microfinance, and/or WASH. Additionally, this position is able to assist the development and establishment of new programmatic and operational procedures, systems and guidelines. This position reports to the Country Director and works closely with WaterCredit Officers and other local staff. He/She will also work closely with other members of the Water.org International Program team and other US-based teams.
Program Management and Partner Capacity Building (Estimate time 45%) – Manage and oversee the Water.org programs in partnership with Indonesia and U.S.-based staff. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and oversee implementation of programs/engagements in collaboration with MFI partners including delivery of funding and technical assistance.
- Develop and manage contracts with and provide support to consultants hired to supplement Water.org’s programmatic work.
- Ensure optimal operational and financial performance of on‐going programs through a combination of in‐country support, monitoring, and technical assistance to addres implementation challenges.
- Maintain databases and track partners’ WaterCredit loan performance and financial expenditure on a regular basis.
- In collaboration with International staff, ensure execution of WaterCredit Officer’s role meet expectation and on time.
- Maintain regular contact with Water.org US program managers to evaluate programs, inform about partner progress and report any issues impacting achievement of program deliverables.
- Support to develop and deliver training modules for partner staff and households on topics such as WASH principles, health and hygiene.
- Support partner exchange visit to Water.org partners in in other countries. Act as a regular liaison between Water.org, partner financial institutions and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate with local governments, NGOs, donors, community groups, and other stakeholders.
Program Design and Development (Estimate time 25%): Support the Water.org program design and development. Key tasks include support to WaterCredit Officer Roles and partners, but are not limited to:
- Support in identification and certification of new partner organizations, including financial and non‐financial institutions.
- Work with partner to determine appropriate program targets and deliverables.
- Assist in the design of partner program work plan and budget. Ensuring they are allocating adequate resources and personnel for successful completion of deliverables.
- Solicit and evaluate new program proposals from partner organizations.
- Contribute to development of new partnership models and innovative approaches to building partner capacity.
- Assist partners in designing appropriate internal monitoring and evaluation protocols.
Program Monitoring and Data Management (Estimate time 15%) – Review data and partner report to track program performance is on the right tract and accountable. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor the regular communications with partners; track and report information related program implementation including partner activities, expenditures and loan portfolio.
- Ensure partner submission of high quality program reporting, and effective transfer of information to Water.org databases, U.S.-based colleagues, and donors.
- Review data report submitted by partners is accurate during program monitoring visits.
- Maintain regular contact with Water.org USA program managers to evaluate the partner program and reports, inform about partner progress and report any issues impacting achievement of program deliverables.
- Ensure optimal operational and financial performance of on‐going programs through a combination of in‐country support, monitoring, and technical assistance to address implementationchallenges
Water.org Organizational Support (Estimate time 10%)– Participate in assisting with the development of new tools and processes, membership on cross-functional committees as requested, and/or participation at internal or external conferences or workshops. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in cross-functional committees and working groups to support the achievement of group goals.
- Assist in the development of new tools, processes and/or procedures.
- Serve as a knowledge base for Water.org and represent Water.org at events and in written publications to advance the organizational mission and vision.
New Business Development (Estimate time 5%) – Conduct outreach among financial institutions, non-governmental organizations, product manufacturers, utilities and other related organizations regarding the potential for adoption of WaterCredit. Participate in certification of new partner organizations for the implementation of WaterCredit programs. Key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Landscape and assist with identification of additional stakeholders for potential collaboration.
- Participate in the certification of new partners.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- At least eight years of relevant experience with microfinance institutions, water and sanitation organizations, engineering firm, international development organization, or related.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a dedicated team
- Candidates must possess one or both of the following competencies: Demonstrated understanding of and familiarity with development finance models and approaches, including (but not limited to) SME lending and/or microfinance, financial services, cooperative development, lending methodologies and sector trends; Demonstrated understanding of and familiarity with urban and rural water supply, sanitation and hygiene approaches and sector trends
- Demonstrated proficiency in partnership and capacity building
- Project management experience
- Advanced computer skills including MS Office products and database software
- Excellent verbal and written communications in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Proven track record proactively identifying challenges and developing innovative solutions
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results working in a small team
- Critical thinking, creativity, good judgment, initiative, attention to detail, and professionalism
- Strong desire to contribute to increased access to water and sanitation
- Willingness to travel up to 30% of time
This is a two year contract position with strong potential for extension and competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates may send a copy of their CV and a cover letter indicating their interest to:
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please do not attempt to contact Water.org about the status of your application.
Please note that the candidate who already sent the application for this position during the previous job announcement is not eligible to apply.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ethnicity, gender, nationality, religious belief or sexual orientation.