Job Title: Research Consultant, Indonesia
Period: July - November 2016
Term: 6 months with possibility of extension.
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Travel Required: Sometimes
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is driven by the vision of a world without malnutrition. GAIN is a Swiss-based international organization that mobilizes public-private partnerships and provides financial and technical support to deliver nutritious foods to those people most at risk of malnutrition. The organization is delivering improved nutrition to an estimated 610 million people in more than 30 countries, half of whom are women and children. Nutrition products are as varied as fortified cooking oil in Indonesia, flour in Africa, soy sauce in China and biscuits in India, as well as specialized products for infant and young child nutrition, and interventions to protect the most vulnerable affected by emergencies or chronic illness.
Indonesia has a high burden of malnutrition in children and women, and improving the micronutrient status of the Indonesia population is a cornerstone of national socio-economic development in Indonesia. Building on the Project BADUTA and on insights from previous formative research on young women in Indonesia, GAIN is proposing to expand the project with the aim to change key nutrition related behaviours of adolescent girls and young women. There is a window of opportunity to intervene in this age group, in order to have long-lasting impact on nutrition for themselves and their future children.
RESEARCH CONSULTANT, INDONESIA
The Research Consultant will report to the Senior Technical Specialist, under direct supervision from GAIN Indonesia Country Director. S/he will ensure good coordination between GAIN and executing agencies in conducting research, studies and interventions so that overall project goals are met. S/he will be expected to provide technical support as required.
The Research Consultant will be expected to advise GAIN’s Country Team on research and monitoring related to GAIN’s (1) Adolescent Girls Nutrition project as well as (2) the Social Marketing Pilot of Multi-Nutrient Powders (MNPs). This will include working with executing research agents, all levels of government, civil society, private sector and academia to facilitate a supportive partner, stakeholder and policy environment and contributing to organizing technical gatherings to raise our profile.
Monitoring, Learning, Research
- Back-stops the Senior Technical Specialist in research activities planned by GAIN, in relation to the research studies on adolescent girls nutrition, as well as the social marketing pilot of MNPs, etc.
- Prepares all documents for the ethical approval process, literature reviews and analyses.
- Facilitates and reviews research protocols, development study tools and data collection instruments.
- Prepares monitoring and evaluation tools for both projects.
- Visits pilot project site as required to ensure that project progress is on track and assist in designing and implement risk mitigation plans if required.
- Assists the country team with various reports related to the two projects.
- Prepares presentations, graphics and charts as requested.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Senior Technical Specialist and/or the Country Director.
Policy and Advocacy / Stakeholder Management
- Develop and maintain a good relationship with executing agencies and act as focal point for GAIN interactions with them.
- Assists in drafting the recommendations for the GOI from the dissemination of studies workshop.
Skills & Attributes
- Proactive with a commitment to quality and accuracy with close attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently without close supervision.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communication and advocacy skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in an environment requiring diplomacy and good judgment in managing interactions with individuals at all levels inside and outside an organization.
- Able to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure with frequent deadlines.
- Reliable and enjoys working in a multi-cultural, cross functional team with flexible and adaptable approach to work.
- Computer literacy with good MS Excel, MS Word, Outlook, and Power Point skills, as well as quantitative and qualitative data analysis programs.
- Fluent written and verbal English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work.
- Ability to travel if required.
- Solid understanding of nutrition program concepts required.
- Understanding of nutrition research, consumer insight research and social media research are all highly desirable,
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Proven capacity to work in a team to deliver outputs in timely manner.
- Good writing skills.
- Minimum of five years and maximum of ten years of relevant professional research experience.
- Familiarity of social media and digital campaigns a plus.
- At least a Masters’ Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology , Communication Public Health, Public Policy or other relevant fields.
- Please email your CV with a cover letter in English explaining why you are suitable for this job to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by July 10, 2016 at 17.00 WIB. Please put “RESEARCH CONSULTANT INDONESIA” in the subject line.