Indonesia Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert – Jakarta, Indonesia
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert to be stationed in Winrock International’s Jakarta office. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
Applicants should go to www.winrock.org to the Jobs link and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert by 27 June 2016.
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
Position Title: Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert
DepartmenT: Forestry and Natural Resource Management
Reports to: Program Officer
Winrock is seeking Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert candidates to help development and implement its innovative and cutting edge Low Emission Development projects. The candidate will be responsible for playing a leading role in implementing several exciting Winrock Indonesia projects related to sustainable and low emission development land use. The Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert will be working in close collaboration with Winrock’s team of global experts to provide inputs to a series of innovative web based spatial analysis tools. Together with Winrock’s globally-recognized technical staff it its home office, spatial mapping consultants, and a web developer, this position will manage the design of web-based GIS tools to examine the social, greenhouse gas, hydrological, biodiversity, and other ecosystem services impacts of various potential policy and land management decisions in areas throughout Indonesia. The position will also work to compile local and national spatial data. The GIS tool outputs will be designed to assist various types of decision makers to examine the potential consequences of various land use management decisions. The objective of this work is to create a set of tools that will assist decision makers with to make sustainable land use decisions in areas of conservation importance.
Along with contributing to the technical development of these tools, the Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert will lead detailed consultations and capacity building with various potential tool users, including both government and private sector actors. As such, a large portion of the position will involve stakeholder engagement and some related travel to priority landscapes in Indonesia. The position will work closely with both US and Indonesian based Winrock staff and partners.
The Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert will also have the opportunity to contribute to writing, reviewing and editing technical materials for project deliverables and tool development.
The Spatial Analyst will have expertise in stakeholder engagement, GIS software, and have a science background preferably in natural resource management.
In close collaboration with the Project Directors, Program Officers and other staff, the Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert will:
- Identify strategic partners and help to develop collaborative initiatives to address evolving issues in land use management in the priority landscapes in Indonesia.
- Provide technical assistance including support to acquisition of field data, aerial surveys, and other imagery, specifically on:
- Create and run spatial analyses using ArcGIS and export data for project use.
- Prepare project deliverables including spatial information analysis, database development, and publishing online maps with ArcGIS Online.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the GIS tools and provide suggestions for improvement based on GIS knowledge and stakeholder engagement in order to improve land management decisions in Indonesia
- Provide training to team members and clients in the use of methods pertaining to the use of GIS.
- Prepare and contribute to presentations of methods and results at public and private fora.
- Maintain knowledge of evolving issues in the global climate change and environmental fields.
- Recommend and implement new approaches that strengthen Winrock International’s reputation for good science and expand the visibility of Winrock International’s spatial analysis work.
· Conduct literature reviews and background document research.
· Facilitate communications with project directors, team members and partner organizations.
· Prepare periodic reports and written deliverables for institutional partners, donor agencies and Winrock.
· Attend conferences and workshops related to applied GIS in palm oil plantation, forestry and environment with government agencies, financial institutions, utilities, trade associations, NGO’s, etc.; build strategic alliances; and, explore new areas where the skills and experience of Ecosystem Services can be effectively applied for other purposes.
· Manage individual tasks as needed or assigned
Qualifications AND BACKGROUND:
- Master’s degree required with demonstrated coursework in the application of GIS techniques to issues in ecosystem ecology, forestry, soils, biodiversity, natural resource management or a closely related field. Bachelor’s degree with extensive work experience will be considered as equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience collaborating with public and private sector stakeholders required.
- 3+ years of experience in GIS applications related to natural resource management required.
- Experience in analysis and design of projects using information technology and GIS required.
- Knowledge and experience with the spatial datasets developed, spatial analysis and cataloged for Indonesia at local, regional, national, and international desired.
- Familiarity with Indonesian government agencies associated with spatial and non-spatial information services desired.
- Knowledge of the licensing and permitting process for land use in Indonesia desired.
- Familiarity with climate change mitigation and greenhouse gas emission accounting desired.
- Familiarity with development and sustainability policies and pledges by government and private sector desired.
- Familiarity with technical aspect for palm oil and forestry especially applications of GIS for private sector desired.
- Experience with databases using SQL including construction and macro development is a plus.
- Written and oral fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English required.
- Ability to engage stakeholders at various governmental, educational, and technology backgrounds
- Ability to work and train using ESRI software (ArcGIS 9.x, ArcInfo Desktop, ArcSDE, ArcIMS ArcView 3.x)
- Highly developed presentation skills with ability to lead discussions within a diverse group setting to achieve consensus and results.
- Personal computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel spreadsheets, email, presentation, and database software.
- Excellent organization and management skills essential, including ability to coordinate a variety of tasks, meet deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrated strong analytical capability and excellent interpersonal skills are required.
- Good oral and written communication skills required.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Familiarity in programming in related languages is a plus.
- Must be willing to travel, potentially to remote locations in Indonesia. Host-country nationals are encouraged to apply.
Please send your CV and other supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject Indonesia Land Use Analysis and Stakeholder Expert