Hivos Southeast Asia is an International non-governmental organization guided by humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos Southeast Asia (Hivos SEA) seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Fundraiser–Sustainable Food Systems
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Regional Director
Our current food system is contributing to climate change, ecosystem degradation and biodiversity loss, but is also affected by these environmental problems. This vulnerability is exacerbated by social and political problems, not allowing those depending on it to move out of poverty into decent livelihoods. Hivos’s Sustainable Food Systems approach moves beyond the limitations of focusing on single commodities and individual farms, and integrates both economic/environmental and social/political dimensions into its thematic strategy.
The Fundraiser–Sustainable Food Systems position performs the programme development function for Hivos SEA’s Food thematic team. Drawing from an expert understanding of Hivos’s organisational values, its global Green Society strategy, and Hivos SEA’s individual strategic plan for the Food theme, s/he creates new projects and programs that address persistent challenges in regional, national and local food systems. S/he identifies and builds a network of key stakeholders from government, international organisations, civil society and the private sector, and works with them to co-create solutions. S/he builds donor relationships and identifies funding opportunities.
A successful incumbent of the role will build a diverse portfolio of innovative, high-quality projects with strong stakeholder buy-in; achieve internal funding targets; and contribute to the development of Hivos’s reputation as a thought and innovation leader on the theme of Sustainable Food Systems.
As leader of Hivos SEA’s Food team, the Fundraiser is responsible for developing the strategic and financial resilience plans for Hivos SEA’s Food theme, and leading the Food team towards achievement of its programmatic objectives. S/he organises internal processes for idea co-creation within the Food team, as well as in collaboration with the other Hivos themes. The Fundraiser is responsible for translating these ideas into viable solutions, and securing funding opportunities for the resulting projects.
This position also oversees the individual projects managed by Hivos SEA’s Food team to ensure continuing relevance with Hivos’s overall Green Society goals. S/he is responsible for management of Food team members, including the annual performance review cycle.
The position is a member of Hivos SEA’s Management Team.
Roles and responsibilities
1. Together with the Global Office, other Hivos Regional Offices, and the local Food team, develop and implement a fundraising strategy to support the ongoing implementation of the programme
2. Identify and secure funding sources for the programme. Build a comprehensive network of donors and other potential sources of funding
3. With civil society partners, like-minded organisations, local governments and other allies, co-create innovative, high-quality project ideas aligned with Hivos’s global Green Society strategy
4. Develop ideas into successful concept notes and full proposals for interested donors
5. Provide input and contribute program highlights for communication materials etc. for internal and external audiences
6. Oversee implementation of projects within the Sustainable Food Systems portfolio, including coordination of planning, reporting and learning
7. Present Hivos’s vision on Sustainable Food Systems in an attractive and leading way during conferences, seminars and other donor-facing opportunities
8. As a member of the Management Team, contribute to and support the management and overall organizational functioning of Hivos Southeast Asia
1. An advanced tertiary degree in a relevant field (international development, food studies, political studies, public health, urban studies, sociology, etc)
2. Proven track record of successful fundraising for an NGO
3. At least 5 years work experience for an NGO in programme management, lobbying and advocacy, campaigning, policy analysis, or another relevant area
4. Innovative mindset with the ability to work with others to develop transformative solutions for complex, persistent global problems
5. A strong affinity for Hivos’ mission and for social and environmental concerns
6. Extremely high proficiency in verbal and written English
7. At least business-level proficiency in Indonesian
1. Existing personal network of international development donors such as EC, DFAT, GIZ, SIDA, DFID, ADB, private foundations, etc.
2. Experience convening multi-actor initiatives for systems change
3. Experience working on sustainable food systems issues
4. Familiarity with social innovation practices (design thinking, Theory U, etc)
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the possibility to work for an ambitious international initiative.
Hivos Southeast Asia salary grade: 11-12 (of 12)
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 26 August 2016.
This position is open to suitably qualified Indonesian applicants, or international applicants who are already resident in Indonesia.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘Fundraiser—Sustainable Food Systems’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Previously unsuccessful candidates for the ‘Coordinator/Programme Development Manager—Sustainable Food’ position need not apply.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.