START DATE: As soon as possible
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT: Two years
EXPERIENCE: 4 years or more
ORGANIZATION: J-PAL Southeast Asia at LPEM FEB UI
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT: English and Indonesian
J-PAL Southeast Asia, based at the Institute for Economic and Social Research at the University of Indonesia (LPEM-FEBUI) seeks a qualified applicant for the position of Research Manager (RM) for a variety of projects in Indonesia. This mid-level management position offers an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to have significant responsibility in a vibrant organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
The Research Managers will report directly to the Executive Director, and will collaborate with the office’s Scientific Directors from MIT and Harvard University.
The RM will be responsible for performing a variety tasks including, but not limited to: overseeing several research associates and their projects; managing and negotiating contracts with survey firms; designing survey questionnaires; providing guidance to pilot exercises, study designs and surveying instruments; assisting in checking, analyzing data, and in the writing of project reports and policy memos; coordinating with local partners, including government, running the programs being evaluated; and supporting outreach to policymakers in country. The RM will also assist in the development and implementation of new research projects related to topics such as Microfinance, Agriculture and Governance.
The Research Manager will be based in Jakarta, but can expect to travel to rural and urban project sites across Indonesia.
Research and Relationship management:
• Directly oversee and provide guidance to in-country Research Associates and their respective projects
• Build and maintain strong relationships with researchers working on randomized evaluations in the Southeast Asia region
• Collaborate with potential partners, J-PAL SEA management and PIs on the development, conceptual design and implementation of randomized evaluations
• Contribute to building systems that facilitate good research practices by our affiliates, including data security and confidentiality, registering trials, making data sets public
• Work with the J-PAL SEA management team and PIs to develop budgets and coordinate all aspects of grant submission to donors
• Monitor anticipated and actual costs charged to project budgets, regularly communicate these to PIs, and identify and prevent potential overruns
Reporting and Communication
• Establish and maintain processes and systems for effective communication, including reporting, with Research Associates, PIs and J-PAL SEA management
• Provide routine verbal and written updates on project activities to stakeholders, including PIs and J-PAL SEA management
• Coordinate the preparation of summary reports and dissemination materials
• Proactively identify and conduct, in coordination with J-PAL SEA management, outreach activities
Organizational: Support tasks that advance the mission of J-PAL SEA, including recruiting and on boarding, and mentoring junior staff, building external relationships, and helping with conferences to spur new research collaborations and disseminate research results.
• Education: Master’s degree (or higher) in Economics, Finance, Business, Development or related field. Well-qualified Bachelor’s candidates with significant related work experience will also be considered. Strong interest in international development policy as demonstrated by coursework and/or professional experience.
• Experience: 4 or more years of relevant experience in research and management.
• Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Indonesian language skill is preferred.
• Time Management: Proven ability to multitask and successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision. A willingness to work hard, be self-motivated, and learn will be essential for doing well in this position.
• Willingness to travel: Position may require travel throughout the region to meet with senior policymakers in government agencies, NGOs, foundations and international development organizations as well as follow-up work to promote research projects and other policy and capacity building initiatives.
• Ability to supervise staff and manage projects independently.
• All nationalities can apply
• Econometric Analysis
• Academic research experience
• Familiarity with experimental research design and varied data collection methods
• Project management and financial management
• Knowledge of an Indonesian language,
How to Apply
Please send an email to jpalseajobs@povertyactionlab.
org and email@example.com by October 28, 2016 with these instructions exactly:
1. Use the following as the email subject line: “J-PAL SEA, Research Manager.” Please do not include any other text in the body of the e-mail. Adding extra text will interfere with the processing of your application
2. Attach PDF copies of your CV, academic transcripts, and a cover letter no longer than 500 words. The cover letter should discuss how you meet the aforementioned position requirements, emphasizing relevant skills and experience, as well as why you are interested in working with J-PAL SEA
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply at the earliest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.