To support program delivery in Indonesia, GGGI seeks to hire a Investment Lead Land Use who will be responsible for driving investment into forest and land-based products and services. The goal is to help drive public and private investment towards projects which provide capital returns to investors and local farmers and entrepreneurs in an effort to support Indonesia mitigate climate change, restore landscapes, and enhance food and livelihood security. The position will work with a team to enhance the economic competitiveness of forest and land-based products and services industry in Indonesia by encouraging innovation, enhancing production practices (including enhancing efficiency in production and organic farming), turning degraded lands to productive lands. Work will include developing business models in the forest, agroforestry and agricultural sectors, including the development of value chain investment plans for such value add products and services for local and export market, for example for spices, oils, sugars, honey, nuts, cassava, fruits, tourism and high value timber. These business models will need to contribute to Indonesia’s NDC emission reduction targets.
The person filling this position will be the go to person on land-based value chain investment related matters and is responsible to find ways to share risk between public and private sector investors as well as originate and design projects which apply technologies and best practices and help shape a conducive investment climate through various de-risking instruments and innovative financial instruments. The position requires exceptional analytical and strategic thinking skills along with an ability to achieve practical, short-term results and actions on the ground.
The person will need to build a network amongst public and private investors. Projects will target public investment from climate funds such as Global Climate Fund (GCF), the fund for the Indonesia-Norway climate and forest partnership, as well as private funds, under public-private partnerships and other innovative financial arrangements.
The position forms part of the Investment and Policy Solutions Division (IPSD), but it operates under the management of the Indonesia country program. Close alignment is therefore necessary with the IPSD, based in GGGI headquarters in Seoul, and at the same time with the Indonesia team, based in Jakarta and the pilot provinces. Close cooperation is especially necessary with the Forest and Land Use lead within the Indonesia team, who has the responsibility for leading GGGI’s engagement with government partners in the forest and land use area.
Candidates applying for this position must be willing to travel frequently between Seoul and Indonesia and within Indonesia.
The Investment Lead Land Use will be responsible for all business development in the land use sector and will be the lead investment thinker in this sector. The position will provide sector- and country-specific investment and financial expertise to unlock investment opportunities, originate projects and secure investment, as well as develop partnerships with private and public investors active in the development of forest, agroforestry and other land based product and services projects.
- Develop partnerships, lead engagement and collaborate with public and private investors globally and in Indonesia to drive investments to relevant projects in Indonesia
- Convincingly communicate to investors, the economic competitiveness of forest and land-based products and services industry
- Facilitate processes with project proponents to originate, design and drive projects towards bankability among investors and other stakeholders involved in the supply chain, market channels and project development;
- Coordinate with GGGI colleagues globally and in Indonesia on project finance, and policies and tools designed to reduce risks in such investment;
- Responsible for investment results in business models for forest and land-based products and services;
- Provide subject matter expert advice with an aim to drive inclusive and sustainable investment in this sector;
- Creatively originate and develop forest and land-based products and services projects that can be taken to bankability and contribute to landscape restoration, climate change mitigation and economic prosperity at local level;
- Lead the oversight of financial analyses for projects and programs, including the analysis and design of innovative financial instruments to direct capital investment towards solutions for this focus area.
- Lead on going in country resource mobilization for continuity of Indonesia Land Use Program
- The position will report to the Indonesia Country Representative or a designated manager in Jakarta and co-report to the Investment Policy Solutions Division (IPSD) in Seoul.
All applicants must hold exemplary and relevant academic credentials, and must hold a post-graduate degree in a relevant subject from a leading academic institution. Individuals must also have at least 10 years of professional experience in the field of inclusive and sustainable investment and finance, including at least five years in forest and land-based products, preferably in Indonesia.
- Postgraduate Degree in investment and/or finance specializing in the forest and land use related sector or Agribusiness development.
- Recognized leadership in past appointments as a succesful lead/chief investment advisor or specialist in the focal area
- Exceptional conceptual, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills on how public and private investments flows into forest and land based products and services, related value chains and market channeling with an aim to effectively mobilize inclusive green investment.
- A proven track record in the delivery of land-based supply chain and private sector investment flows into inclusive and sustainable projects which have resulted in poverty reduction, social inclusion and environmental sustainability.
- Experience in originating and shaping bankable projects and financial instruments in the sector in other countries and/or in Indonesia which have resulted in economic, environmental/climate and social impacts
- Practical experience in building financial models for forest and landbased products and services is an advantage
- A good understanding on REDD+ and climate finance desirable
- A good understanding on the value of natural assets and ecosystem services desirable as well as ecological and economic connectivity desirable
- Ability to communicate complex investment related issues in a clear and simple way to a diverse audience
- Demonstrated capacity in facilitating in-depth and effective dialogues both internally to support each ‘hybrid’ team as well as externally and consultations on multi-disciplinary issues and across sectors, while maintaining a strong sense of realism with regard to country conditions.
- Outstanding interpersonal, engagement and consensus-building skills, ability to foster strong relationships with key government agencies, as well as the banking and private sector and understand their needs;
- Creative, entrepreneurial and a proactive attitude, able to manage multiple activities in multidisciplinary teams, while meeting tight deadlines;
- Possess multi-cultural literacy and be easily adaptable;
- Strong skills in oral and written English are essential
Experience working in Indonesia and an ability to communicate in Indonesian would be an advantage but is not required.
How to Apply
online application: Investment Lead, Land-Use (STA1207)