Project: Latrine Catalogue Consultant
Water.org, a U.S.-based non-governmental organization working to increase access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). Water.org has been in operation since 1990, implementing sustainable and scalable water and sanitation programs in conjunction with local NGOs and financial institutions. Water.org has pioneered its WaterCredit initiative over the last several years, which works by building the capacity of carefully selected local financial institutions to offer affordable financing for water and sanitation facilities. WaterCredit programs support financial institutions through a combination of financial assistance and technical support. Since 2003, Water.org has implemented WaterCredit programs with 66 partner financial institutions, facilitating 938,000 water and sanitation loans totaling over $176 million.
Water.org launched operations in Indonesia in early 2014 and seeks to build relationships with a broad range of financial institutions (microfinance institutions, commercial banks, BPRs, cooperatives) and water/sanitation service providers.
Water.org partner microfinance institutions (MFIs) design, pilot and launch loan products for financing the construction of household-level water/sanitation facilities such as toilets, septic tanks, wells, and piped water connections.
As part of its technical assistance, Water.org is looking for an experienced and WASH-knowledgeable engineer for a short-term consulting engagement to design a latrine catalogue that will provide technical and non-technical information on most commonly used latrine designs in Indonesia.
The consultant will work with Water.org team to perform the following tasks:
1) Create drawings of 8-10 latrines designs, for both technical and non-technical audience, with Bill of Quantities for each.
2) For each latrine, create supplementary information, including pros and cons of each latrine design, installation considerations, construction guidelines and maintenance tips.
3) Create 3 versions of the latrine catalogue, customizing information for target audience: MFI staff, users, and masons.
4) Support a team of graphic designers to put the latrine catalogue into a professional format.
· Engineering background, with at least three years of relevant experience in water/sanitation sector
· Deep understanding of sanitation facilities being constructed across Indonesia, including construction of hollow-block, concrete ring, and fiber-glass septic tanks
· Relevant experience creating similar latrine catalogues
· Ability to create technical drawings of latrines to be used by masons
· Familiarity with microfinance sector and/or WASH promotion is a plus, but not required
· Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English required
· Project management experience and entrepreneurial mindset
Expected timeline for completing this project:
1. Consultant agreement signed; deadline by January 6, 2017
2. Introductory call and review of existing material; deadline by January 11, 2017
3. Draft of overall content; deadline by January 20, 2017
4. Draft of 3 versions of latrine catalogue; deadline by January 27, 2017
5. Latrine catalogue submitted to graphic designers; deadline by January 30, 2017
6. Final version of the latrine catalogue; deadline by February 17, 2017
A proposed budget shall be included with the Consultant’s submission, and the final budget approval shall be fixed and not subject to negotiation. All taxes should be included in the budget. The Consultant shall be responsible for payment of all taxes. All amounts shall be presented in IDR. Budget notes are encouraged.
Interested candidates may submit proposals, including a detailed work plan and budget, to
Please note “SCS Latrine Catalogue” in the subject line. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please do not attempt to contact Water.org about the status of your application.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ethnicity, gender, nationality, religious belief or sexual orientation.