Rachel House/Yayasan Rumah Rachel is Indonesia’s first pediatric palliative home care service, helping children living with life-limiting conditions such as cancer and HIV, and their families. Rachel House also train nurses, doctors and other health workers in palliative care and is building an ever-expanding network of community volunteers who have been trained to support patients and their families in their community along their palliative care journey.
Our vision is to never see a child live or die in pain. Our goal is to help ensure palliative care is available for all Indonesian children living with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions, enabling them to live with joy and dignity in a loving environment.
Location: Slipi, West Jakarta
The Role: With a strong desire to contribute to positive social change and to help improve the lives of people from disadvantaged backgrounds, Rachel House’s Communications Officer will build public understanding of and awareness about the need for palliative care, lift Rachel House’s public profile, and communicate with a wide range of local and international stakeholders about Rachel House’s programs, goals, plans and progress. The Communications Officer will also contribute to increasing access to funding.
Main responsibilities include:
· Communications strategy and plan - Develop and implement Rachel House’s communication strategy and plan in support of the organization’s vision and mission, and in collaboration with the team.
· Stakeholder management - Reach out to a wide variety of stakeholders ensuring their communication and information needs are met effectively and keeping them up-to-date about Rachel House’s programs, goals, plans and progress. Stakeholders include, but are not limited to, government officials, hospital management teams, professional associations, medical professionals, health centers, international nursing and palliative care specialists, nonprofit organizations, corporations, donors, fundraisers, volunteers, universities, schools and the general public.
· Producing communication materials - Develop and produce a wide range of communication materials in various forms and for various audiences in support of Rachel House’s mission and goals. This includes, but is not limited to: social media content, website content, presentations, speeches, articles, press releases, brochures, flyers, posters, reports, newsletters, video scripts, and photos).
· Communication focal point - Work with colleagues from across Rachel House’s programs supporting them with their communication needs and engaging them in providing information and updates from the field in support of Rachel House’s communications strategy.
· Community relations - Use PR and communication skills to uphold the reputation of the organization within the wider community.
· Media management - Establish and cultivate productive relationships with the media in print, online, TV, radio and identify and use media opportunities that can lift the profile of Rachel House and palliative care. Engage team members in these media opportunities as required.
· Public relations/Spokesperson - Deal with media inquiries regarding the activities of Rachel House and act as Rachel House’s spokesperson answering any questions confidently and with authority, identifying possible communications and media risks and develop strategies to mitigate them. Engage other Rachel House staff as spokespeople as appropriate and support them in this work, for example by arranging speeches or presentations, media interviews or press conferences.
· Media monitoring - Monitor and analyze print and online media for all news related to Rachel House and its work, palliative care, nursing or any related topic such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, national health issues, public health, medical developments etc. and ensure relevant pieces are further shared with the relevant stakeholders and any actions required discussed and organized.
· Event management - Plan, organize and manage events aimed at raising awareness of palliative care and Rachel House’s work and mission, including sponsored events, public events, office talks, presentations, fundraisers etc.
· Social Media - Develop and implement social media strategies and maintain a regular and productive presence via engaging and informative posts and actions on Rachel House’s social media pages, building an expanding community of followers (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
· Website work - Produce and curate website material.
· Fundraising - Contribute to fundraising through proposal writing, preparation of pitch decks and managing online fundraising campaigns.
· Reporting - Report regularly on the implementation of Rachel House’s communication strategy and plan.
· Volunteer management - Develop an effective and strategic volunteer strategy and engage new and seasoned volunteers in Rachel House’s activities to the mutual benefit of Rachel House and the volunteer themselves. This includes advertising required volunteer positions and dealing with all solicited and unsolicited volunteer applications.
· The Living Wall Project - Manage “The Living Wall” project and volunteer team. The Living Wall is a Rachel House initiative to engage young people in a world-wide campaign to increase awareness of children living with life‐limiting illnesses and to improve their access to pediatric palliative care. The Living Wall reaches out and inspires through The Living Wall website and Virtual Wall, an active presence on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), working with schools and organizations to organize their own Living Wall and a yearly event (at Car Free Day).
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related field
· Minimum 2 years’ related experience (for example as Communications Assistant or Communications Associate)
· Experience in implementing communication strategies and plans
· Social media and digital expertise
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to write for and communicate with various audiences.
· Skilled in writing, editing and creating a wide variety of content for various media and purposes (social media content, website content, presentations, speeches, articles, press releases, brochure, flyers, reports, newsletters, video, photos).
· Fluency in both Bahasa Indonesia and English, verbal and spoken, and with impeccable grammar and spelling.
· Solid presentation skills (both in Bahasa Indonesia and English).
· Impeccable attention to detail.
· Ability to process a large amount of information and news from various sources quickly and efficiently, and to distill key messages.
· Well-developed organizational and time management skills.
· Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks and projects concurrently, with the ability to (re)prioritize.
· Excellent problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Understanding of child protection, medical confidentiality and media policies.
· Understanding of the use and management of social media and information technology instruments in accordance with the needs of an organization.
· Good command of office suite (Word, Excel etc.).
· Basic command of multimedia software, design applications (e.g. InDesign, Illustrator) and photo editing.
· Familiar with cloud based applications (e.g. Google calendar, Google Drive)
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· High level of self-motivation, initiative, and creativity.
· Proactive attitude.
· Enthusiastic and energetic.
· A team player.
· Diplomatic manner and ability to adapt to a range of cultures and experiences in interacting with program staff, beneficiaries, stakeholders, contacts and the public.
· A strong desire to contribute to improving the lives of people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
· Keen to learn about health topics, and palliative care in particular.
· Willingness to travel across Jakarta for work.
· Experience with online fundraising campaigns and platforms.
· Design skills
· Eye for photography or photographic skills
· Donor Report Writing
· Writing Proposals
· Previous experience in developing communication strategies
Please send your curriculum vitae along with a covering letter dated no later than 17 February 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Yayasan Rumah Rachel, Graha Lt. Indramas 1, Jl. K. S. Tubun Raya Kav. 77, Slipi, Jakarta 11410.