The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Find out more on: www.ifrc.org
The International Federation-Country Cluster Support Team (CCST) invites applications from eligible candidates for the following position:
Community Engagement & Accountability (CEA) and Communications
Classification Level: Senior Officer
Date of Issue : 27 February 2017
Date of Closing : 13 March 2017
Duty Station: Jakarta
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration: 12 months
The Senior Community Engagement & Accountability (CEA) and Communications Officer will report to Head of Country Cluster Support Team (CCST). The Senior Community Engagement & Accountability (CEA) and Communications Officer will support Indonesian Red Cross (PMI) and Cruz Vermelha de Timor-Leste (CVTL) to develop Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA) and communications with a focus on community based programmes.
Job duties and responsibilities
Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA)
· Under direction of Head of CCST support National Societies to develop and execute a community engagement and accountability (CEA) strategy and approach and dedicated activities as an integral part of community based programmes both during emergency and in normal times.
· Provide guidance on the setting up, and management of, an appropriate mix of communication channels, suitable to the local context and cultural practices, and ensure National Societies have the support and technical skills required to provide timely, relevant and accurate information to people in emergencies, including through innovative engagement strategies.
· Support programme teams to increase levels of engagement and accountability to communities, including within emergency operations, through the establishment of appropriate feedback mechanisms and training frontline staff/volunteers to improve their participation and complaints handling skills.
· Work with PMER and programmes to ensure the Red Cross Information Management systems and platforms capture people’s perceptions and feedback to inform decision-making processes at strategic and operational level.
· Provide specific support to the project teams (PMI, CVTL, IFRC and Partner National Societies) working on Flood resilience (‘Zurich’ project), WASH (‘Samsung’ project), ICBRR Consortium and other projects as assigned. Support National Societies’ programmes to carry out community engagement process in order to improve the ways they can ask questions and voice their opinions and needs.
· Support National Societies to increase their capacity and the sustainability of CEA activities across their programmes.
· Be the technical focal point for the RCRC Movement partners (PNSs, ICRC) and other key stakeholders on CEA and provide tailored solutions as necessary.
· Contribute to measuring and evaluating the impact of CEA maintaining all records and data associated with the program and providing reports of activities as required.
· Actively engage with IFRC CEA technical resources in the AP Region and beyond. Identify and create partnerships and strengthen coordination with CEA partners in support of community engagement initiative in National Societies programmes and operations.
· Act as focal point for IFRC on communications issues.
· Develop communications strategy which in line with CCST operational plan to support programmes and emergency operation.
· Develop strategy to accompany National Societies’ communications bureau with objective to increase their capacity in promoting Red Cross activities for internal and external stakeholders.
· Lead IFRC support to National Societies’ public relations bureau and other division according to need
· Support IFRC HoCCST in:
o Launching specific Red Cross campaigns in country
o Establishing and maintaining relation with national and international media
· Provide effective and sustained communications support to the operational major programmes and promote these programmes with national societies and other partners, as well as media.
· Develop reactive and proactive relationships with national, regional and international media, in line with communications and advocacy goals of the Red Cross.
· Write media releases and other media-related materials to be signed off and issued by the HoCCST and participate in the development of key messages, statements, opinion piece, brochures/publications as well as templates to be used at a zone, regional or national level.
· Actively contact (in coordination with the AP Regional Communications Team) international media to arrange interviews for Red Cross/Red Crescent spokespeople in the field when appropriate.
· Ensure effective working relationships with National Societies counterpart and leadership
· University degree in Communications or Journalism or similar area.
· Basic Delegates Training Course or equivalent knowledge is preferred.
· Experience of working in emergency operation is preferred.
· Experience with the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, including time in the field and/or with a National Society is preferred.
· 5 years’ experience in beneficiary communication, social mobilization, communication with communities, community engagement and accountability or community for development with at least 5 years in developing countries.
· Minimum 5 year experiences of working on communications related tasks.
· Work experience with other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies is preferred.
· Ability to work in a diverse cultural context.
· Strong communications skills and robust knowledge of information sharing tools, and the ability to implement them.
· Highly organized, with ability to create unified team approach.
· Strong skills in written and oral English.
· Good understanding of - or training in - current developments in the field of communication with communities, behavioral and social sciences, community engagement and accountability planning and processes, community media; also strategic communication planning, behavior analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to apply.
Please submit your application letter addressing the above qualifications and experience with your curriculum vitae to: Indonesia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate on the subject heading: Senior CEA and Communications Officer