Development and Training Manager
: 2 (two) years
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the biggest regional section of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) in which its Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia. UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people - more than half of the world population - and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programmemes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, local finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment as well as good governance.
The Capacity Development and Training Manager or CDT Manager will be hired for 2 (two) years period with possibility of extension, based on performance, and will be placed at UCLG ASPAC Secretariat Office in Jakarta. The Post is to support the Secretary General and lead the Capacity Development and Training
Objective and goal:
- To lead the development, ensure and coordinate implementation of the capacity development approach for local governments.
- To provide ideas and inputs in developing and designing the strategies and technical issues concerning capacity development.
- To design the training and capacity development plan.
- To draft and consolidating the specific requirement of proposal related to capacity development and training.
- To be the leading role on developing and producing the capacity development activities in website, publications, and social media.
Scope of Work/Key Duties
Under this Scope of Work, the CDT Manager will carry out the following key activities:
Strategy and Development
1. Contribute to the creation and implementation of the best practice capacity development and training strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and implement vision and mission UCLG ASPAC
2. Initiate strategic engagement discussion and contribute to the understanding of the approach to capacity development
General & Task Management
1. Responsible for capacity planning and for development in engaging members
2. Support the further sensitization, ownership and implementation of the capacity development process
3. Design the organizational development capacity building plan, including training and curriculum development.
4. Ensure the capacity development milestones are integral with UCLG ASPAC’s mission and vision
5. Organize and implement training activities for UCLG ASPAC’s members and partners
6. On the basis of the capacity assessment process and reports, support and oversee the implementation of capacity development plan to achieve the milestones identified and address the identified capacity gaps
7. Provide authoritative policy advice and technical guidance on capacity development implementation and delivery
8. Responsible in designing the monitoring and evaluation tools of measurable capacity development indicators
9. Leading role for the process od selection third party for the implementation of capacity development activities as required
10. Supervise the implementation of the capacity development plan and report on the outcomes based on the existing milestone
11. Provide technical guidance and operational support to enhance performance and quality assurance, share knowledge and build capacity
12. Collaborate with development partners and stakeholders in establish the capacity development plan
13. Establish the dialogue with donors, partners and stakeholders to maintain effective working relationships, sustain interest, and increase cooperation
14. Leading role in coaching and monitoring to partners to support the capacity development process
15. Have close coordination with the Media and Communication Department in advertising and promoting capacity building and training programmes of UCLG ASPAC.
16. Have close coordination with the Strategic Services Department and the Members Service Department in evaluating members needs assessment.
1. Manage, coach and develop a high performing team that meets agreed objectives, delivers best practice result and works to make continuous improvements
2. Set Division’s objectives and review ways in which to enhance the performance of the capacity planning department and add value
3. Report the achievement of targets and identify any actions required
Financial Budget and Control
1. Input and hold responsibility for capacity planning budgets
1. Collaborate with external stakeholders to obtain and ensure that current and accurate information is used for planning purposes to meet operational requirements
2. Regularly communicate plans and forecast to internal stakeholders and review plans to ensure efficient resource utilization
3. Ensure that effective data, statistical analysis and performance metrics are available to external stakeholders
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in development studies, social sciences and/or related fields, master degree preferable.
· Minimum 10 (ten) years of professional experience in capacity development and working in a similar position in an NGO and/or an International Organization.
· Demonstrated experience in influencing organizational change, coordinating and managing capacity building. Proficiency with activities, theories, methods and technology in capacity development
· Demonstrated flexibility, adaptability, ability to perform, collaborate in challenging conditions
· Strong strategic and planning skills
· Ability to develop and sustain good working relationships internally and externally
· Ability to organize the logistics for complex large scale training and /or capacity building events
· Solid experience in the management of people and systems in high-pressure environments
· Demonstrated experience working with local governments, multi-donor agencies, and or development partner.
· Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing (Indonesia and English)
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manages complexities
· Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
· Honest, trustworthy and demonstrate sound work ethics
· Ability to quickly establish professional rapport with colleagues and other persons
· Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines required.
· Positive work ethic with a willingness to learn.
· Considerable domestic and international travel may be required.
1. Policy proposals, position papers, presentations and documents for internal and external strategic discussion , policy formulation and assessments
2. Identify best practices and lesson learned to build capacity and knowledge
3. Database of mapping on training programs and donors working on capacity development of local governments
1. Numbers of outgoing proposal and approved approval
2. Database of capacity development training requires by the local governments
3. Plan and strategies on capacity development
The post will be supervised by the Secretary General and working as a team with CDT Officer
Please submit your application and CV to email@example.com before : March 1st 2017