The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a nonprofit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multi-disciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon and Lima, Peru.
CIFOR is looking for
The Project FORETS (FOrmation, Recherche, Environnement dans la TShopo) is an initiative mainly funded with resources from the XI European Development Fund.
It contributes to integrated development of the Yangambi Biosphere Reserve landscape in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). It aims to improve the conservation and use of biodiversity and ecosystem services for the sustainable development of local populations. Activities are defined along the Yangambi–Kisangani axis in the Tshopo province and address the support of local communities through awareness raising, extension and outreach and strengthening of national human resources though formal university training programs such as LMD (licence, master, doctorat) or BSc, MSc and PhD.
This initiative aims to undertake a series of socioeconomic development opportunities in a landscape of circa 400,000 ha and impacting, directly and indirectly, a population of circa 1 million urban and rural dwellers.
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is the international organization in charge of implementing this initiative with help from local and international partners.
In the context of the FORETS project, CIFOR is recruiting a Scientific Expert to assist the Project Manager in the completion of his tasks.
Summary of responsibilities
The Scientific Expert will focus on the following main areas of work:
A. Project implementation
Ensure satisfactory implementation of development related activities for the FORETS project in Kisangani and the Tshopo provinces in relation to the running of the planned activities in and around the Yangambi Reserve.
B. Supervision of activities in the Yangambi Reserve
· Support and supervise the implementation of work conducted to establish socioeconomic and environmental baselines
· Support and supervise the implementation of development activities in and around the Yangambi Reserve
· Provide additional support related to activities conducted in Kisangani (both technical and academic) when requested
C. Mentoring students
· Support and mentor the students working in and around the Yangambi Reserve or elsewhere in DRC, if it is relevant to the project
D. Applied research
· Contribute to baseline studies and the development of applied research projects within the prioritized research themes (e.g. land tenure, sustainable value chains, agroforestry, forest conservation, community forestry, etc.) conducted in and around the Yangambi Biosphere Reserve, Tshopo province
E. Communication, dissemination and engagement
· Work with the “Expert en communication & vulgarization” on all media, communication, dissemination and engagement activities related to the project, especially on activities related to the work conducted in and around the Yangambi Reserve.
F. Provide project management assistance
· Closely liaise with the “Coordonnateur représentant” FORETS and other support staff to ensure proper budgeting, financial planning, logistics and documenting of expenditure
· Participate in FORETS workshops and meetings and contribute to the organization of workshops, meetings, and other experience-sharing activities
· Assist in project reporting (progress reports, minutes, translations, etc.).
Education, knowledge and experience
· MSc degree in natural resource management science or forestry, a good understanding of tropical forest management challenges, socioeconomic assessments, and forest governance issues. A PhD in this area would be advantageous;
· Previous experience in DRC is compulsory, and experience in other African countries would be an asset;
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience in management and implementation of projects focusing on forestry, agroforestry, value-chain analysis, integrated landscape management, or rural development;
· Experience in tree planting and tree nursery management;
· Experience working with a wide and diverse network of groups and individuals;
· Proficiency in French, and excellent spoken and written English required; a knowledge of Swahili would be considered advantageous;
· Work experience as a lecturer on courses related to forestry in general (and forest management specifically) would be considered advantageous.
Personal attributes and competencies
· Good facilitation and organizational skills in developing countries;
· Competent in personal organization and priority setting, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and work effectively under time pressure;
· Ability to manage multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams in difficult environments;
· Have initiative and can work independently as well as be an effective team player;
· Good interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with people in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
· Proven expertise in Pericopsis elata autecology and population management;
· Strong leadership and management skills.
Terms and conditions
· This is Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position;
· CIFOR offers competitive remuneration in US Dollars commensurate with skills and experience;
· The appointment will be for a period of two years, including a nine-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources;
· The work location will be at the CIFOR Project Office in Kisangani, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
· The application deadline is 26 April 2017.
· We will acknowledge all applications but will contact only short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website athttp://www.cifor.org