POSITION OPENING: Project Manager
Non-profit / International Development
Padang, Sumatera Barat
Start Date: Immediate
1 year (with possible extension)
Competitive, with medical
insurance, BPJS, food allowance, housing allowance,
transportation allowance, and communication allowance
Founded in 2004, Build Change is a non‐profit social enterprise whose mission is to save lives in earthquakes and hurricanes. Build Change designs disaster-resistant houses and schools, trains homeowners, builders, engineers and government officials to build them, works with governments to develop and implement building standards, partners with the private sector to improve building materials quality and create jobs, and facilitates access to incentive-based capital for reconstruction and retrofitting by partnering with financing institutions and government subsidy programs. Build Change started its work in Aceh, Indonesia after the 2004 earthquake and tsunami and has since expanded to include programs in China, Haiti, Colombia, Guatemala, Nepal, and the Philippines. Build Change has trained more than 25,300 people on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques, guided 31 organizations in using homeowner-driven design, created almost 12,000 jobs and provided technical assistance for more than 48,700 safer buildings, impacting an estimated 245,026 people.
Build Change has been providing technical assistance and basic business training for 90 brickmaking SMEs in Lubuk Alung sub-district, Padang Pariaman, to improve the bricks quality and increase the business income under its Better Building Materials (BBM) program. A brickmaker cooperative has been established to create distribution network of good quality bricks that have been produced. For the position of Project Manager, Build Change is seeking an exceptional, driven, and experienced candidate with proven management communication skills to lead that project implementation. Curiosity, optimism, tenacity, and a willingness to find and implement sustainable solutions are key attributes. Hands on construction experience is helpful but not required if the candidate understands and can articulate fundamental concepts of disaster-resistant design and construction including the relation with building materials. Experience in developing and promoting a medium business scale is a strong plus. In addition, the successful applicant will have excellent teamwork skills.
This position reports to the Indonesia Program Manager.
Project Management Responsibilities
- Maintain ownership of project milestones, ensure the strategies and work plan are being well implemented, resolving issues immediately related to project as they arise in order to maintain project schedules and objectives.
- Develop a full understanding of business development strategy for use in promoting brickmaker cooperative and expand its business while maintain the product quality.
- Develop a full understanding of the information management systems in order to track appropriately and in real-time the project progress as well as maintain quality control of project information and data.
- Maintain consistent communication with the Program Manager regarding schedule or deliverable challenges. Work with Program Manager to resolve any staffing issues if they arise.
- Actively develop and maintain relationship with the relevant local authorities to promote good building materials and good construction practices.
- Responsible for ensuring ongoing, clear, and timely communication with team.
- Maintain communication and coordination with partners and beneficiaries.
- Ensure proper project documentation and contribute to the project promotional materials as required by the Program Manager.
- Prepare reports and contribute to internal and external project reporting in a timely manner as required by the Program Manager.
- As needed, represent Build Change in meetings and communication with relevant partners as coordinated with the Program Manager.
· Minimum 5 years professional experience in project management with the ability to manage staff, set, and achieve project objectives.
· Entrepreneurial experience such as starting a field program in a developing country, leading a large event, or starting a business.
· Experience in business development and promotion in other countries with humanitarian core is a strong plus.
· Demonstrated experience working successfully with interpersonal, liaison, negotiation, and influencing skills within the government sector.
· Understanding of earthquake-resistant design and construction and the relation with building materials.
· Hands-on construction experience in masonry, reinforced concrete, and carpentry is helpful.
· Effective, timely and clear professional communication skills, including formal and informal oral communication, written communication and visual aids.
· Fluent English and Bahasa Indonesia, writing and verbal .
· Action-oriented, adaptable, and innovative approach to project planning.
· Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
· Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
Go to http://www.buildchange.org/
about/careers and click on the link for this
position. Women and citizens of Indonesia are encouraged to apply. Only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please.