Post Title: Senior Private Sector Engagement Officer
Post Level: Senior Officer
Contract Duration: 12 months (possibility for extension)
Base of assignment: Jakarta
Report to: Program Coordinator of American Red Cross
The American Red Cross (ARC) helps vulnerable people around the world to prevent, prepare for and respond to disasters, complex humanitarian emergencies and life-threatening health conditions. It is a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and works closely with Palang Merah Indonesia (PMI). Currently ARC supports programs in Aceh, Jakarta, West and Central Java, Bali and NTB. ARC works with the PMI focusing on 2 program sectors: Disaster Management, and Organizational Development.
American Red Cross is implementing wide range of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation programs. A Greater Jakarta Program (GJP), an integrated community based disaster risk reduction approach implemented within Ciliwung river community. Another program in American Red Cross is coastal resilience to strengthen community resilience in coastal area through mangrove restoration and related livelihood generation in coastal area. Alike Regional Hub and WASH Program, to strengthen PMI capacity in logistics and water and sanitation in responding disaster and calamity. We believe that private sectors have a potential role to reduce disaster risk and the impact of climate change. Through volunteerism, it is expected that corporate employees are willing to participate in the project as volunteer, example through river basin plantation or during emergency situation. While through contribution, it is expected that corporate sector can contribute their resources to increase community capacity in disaster risk reduction.
Therefore, the American Red Cross is currently looking for a Senior Private Sector Engagement Officer to be based in Jakarta office for one year (possibility for extension) with experience to work with PMI and private sector including business association (AMCHAM, KADIN, APINDO, etc.), and their members to assist increase and strengthen PMI’s volunteer network and existing interface with the corporate sector and to increase community capacity in disaster risk reduction. These volunteers are company employees, who will be trained, oriented and inducted as Red Cross volunteers to assist in disaster mitigation and response for their respective communities, and in the areas they live and work. The Senior Private Sector Engagement Officer will work directly with PMI and ARC on a broad range of Partnership, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities and tasks, to achieve the above goal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position reports directly to the Program Coordinator of American Red Cross and has the following main responsibilities:
- To work closely with Program Coordinator, Project Managers and PMI representative for technical support project to identify potential and prospect activities to collaborate with private sector.
- With PMI to actively promote and orient companies and their staff to opportunities to take advantage of Red Cross training, including initial orientation/induction as volunteers and related to other roles/responsibilities which volunteers carry out with the Red Cross (i.e. both disaster and non-disaster related)
- To support a well-coordinated approach, with others, that facilitates technical capacities from the corporate sector to more formally and consistently participate with PMI through:
- Capacity building to PMI volunteers/staff to interface with corporate sectors (management and staff); to corporate employees regarding how PMI works/business operation system in regular non-emergency and in disaster response and recovery – depending on interest and needs.
- Coordinate with other ARC program activities and managers to identify opportunities to participate in ongoing PMI/ARC activities at a professional level as a volunteer resource (e.g. Regional Hub)
- To support management to evolve and develop, including documentation of process, materials, and approach etc. of a professional level cadre of volunteers specifically from the corporate sector that can be scaled up with other red cross movements in Indonesia and / or in other countries in the South East Asia Region, most likely with IFRC involvement
- Experience in Corporate Social Responsibility or Marketing and Communication.
- Experience in working with private sector, corporate networks, forums, business associations etc.
- Having an understanding of sustainable development/business preparedness within private sector.
- Experience in developing and carrying out training curriculum and/or a training program.
- Familiar with corporate sector and their interest in supporting humanitarian, volunteer and/or development processes and/or programs
- Good program management skills
- Experience in supporting/developing/managing public-private partnerships
- Good understanding of humanitarian, development issues and civil society
- Knowledge/experience of Indonesian Red Cross and/or Red Cross Movement.
- Experience in volunteer management
- Post graduate in social development, business administration, or other relevant study
- Understanding of human resource development – particularly related to working with PMI, consultants and others in adapting current volunteer curriculum related to orientation, disaster management and health approaches using corporate volunteers
- Excellent Communication Skills (both speaking and writing in Indonesian and English).
- Excellent in report writing skill (both speaking and writing in Indonesian and English) will be an advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Innovative – ability to generate new ideas and propose new, more effective ways of doing things particularly related to CSR and public/private partnerships
- Good computer skills
- Public speaking