Please kindly post this position Vacancy.
Thank you very much.
Terms of Reference
Consultant – English Native Speaker Editor
To edit and revise all English contents of communication materials, reports, and other knowledge products in compliance with Winrock International-ASLI project guidelines and standards.
Flexible: Winrock International Jakarta office; work from home will be allowed upon approval from Project Director
April – September 2017, part-time on as-needed basis
Director of ASLI project
Deadline for Application
03 April 2017
Indonesia’s oil palm industry represents both a significant threat and a significant opportunity to the realization of national development objectives to reduce social gaps and to balance the use, availability, and sustainability of natural resources and the environment. Indonesia’s oil palm sector expanded from 1.34 million ha to 11.3 million ha between 1990 and 2015. This expansion has been linked to positive impacts on smallholder incomes, as well as growth in output, income, and added value in other sectors of the economy. However, the expansion of the sector has also been a driving factor in high deforestation rates and peatland degradation across the archipelago. Efforts must therefore be made to ensure that palm oil production in Indonesia is sustainable.
ASLI is a public-private partnership of USAID, Winrock International, and Perkumpulan Sawit Lestari (PSL), which represents several leading palm oil producing companies. ASLI seeks to strengthen private sector initiatives that address the link between deforestation and the palm oil industry. The purpose of the ASLI activity is to mitigate the impacts of climate change from deforestation in Indonesia as a result of land clearing for palm oil production. This will be achieved through direct engagement with the private sector, the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, civil society organizations, Government of Indonesia and other stakeholders such as media, academia, public figures and non-traditional partners. ASLI also supports USAID/Indonesia’s Signature Effort, approved by the Development Lab in December 2014, to integrate innovative partnerships and business models to address climate change mitigation challenges. The $2.6 million project (USAID and PSL contribute $1.3 million each) will run from March 2016 – March 2018.
The following outcomes are expected from ASLI:
1. Enhanced technical research to support policy and regulatory reform.
2. Sustainability-related smallholder characteristics defined and needs assessed.
3. Framework for monitoring and reporting progress toward zero deforestation efforts.
2. OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The main objective of this consultancy is to edit and revise all English contents of communication materials, reports, and other knowledge products in compliance with Winrock International-ASLI project guidelines and standards.
3. SCOPE OF WORK/DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall guidance of the Director of Winrock International’s ASLI Project, the consultant will be responsible for quality assurance of the English versions of deliverables. The consultant will edit, revise, and proofread the English content of knowledge products from the project. This may include communication materials, technical summaries, scientific papers, scientific reports, research documents, project reports, quarterly reports, annual reports, and other miscellaneous reports required by the project. The consultant should comply with guidelines and standards of Winrock International marking and branding. The submitted drafts, edited materials or documents will be subject to feedback from the Project and Winrock International Home Office until final approval is received from USAID Jakarta. Please note it will not be the consultant’s responsibility to communicate with USAID at any point.
4. DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The contract period is from April to September 2017, part-time on an as-needed basis.
5. EXPECTED DELIVERABLES
The deliverables are associated with the Project Implementation Plan and may include editing, revising and proofreading and of the documents listed under section 3. Scope of Work/Duties and Responsibilities.
· ASLI Project will provide background information on the project to the Consultant.
· The Consultant’s work station is flexible: We anticipate the Consultant will be needed in the Jakarta office on a limited basis, so may work from home or other locations. However, the Consultant will have access to Winrock International’s Jakarta Office for meetings or administrative needs. The Consultant may be asked to work on-site at some points during the assignment, upon the request of the ASLI Team.
7. REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION
· Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Environment, or Social Studies is preferred but not essential.
Experiences and skills
· Proven experience in writing, editing, reporting, and communicating complex programmatic information in reader-friendly formats and style.
· Demonstrated track record of writing high quality English language content.
· Strong editing, writing, and proofreading skills.
· Ability to work well in a multi-cultural environment
· Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
· Self-starter with minimum supervision required Knowledge of issues related to palm oil, sustainable development, and forestry and environmental issues is a plus, but is not required for this position.
Language and other skills
· Native English speaker.
· Computer literacy and ability to use office equipment and IT tools
· Knowledge of graphic design and desktop publisher will be helpful but not required.
· Solid teamwork skills required.
9. SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org , no later than 03 April , 2017.
The submission of application includes the following attachments:
· Cover Letter
· Brief financial proposal which specifies hours available for work and hourly fees/other fees if applicable.· One writing sample