Helen Keller International (HKI) is an international non-governmental organization whose mission is to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged by combating the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition. We do this by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Established in 1915, HKI maintains its Headquarters in New York City, with Regional Offices in Senegal and Phnom Penh to support 22 country offices in Africa and Asia.
Since the 1970s, HKI-Indonesia has been working to establish sustainable evidence-based approaches to enhance health and nutrition, improve education for the disabled, and expand access to eye health services for Indonesians, particularly women and children. HKI’s programs are integrated at all levels of the government health and education structure by helping to develop its human resources and infrastructure, conduct needs assessments, analyze local context to inform program design and implementation, train personnel, provide basic equipment and medicines, deliver services if needed, and monitor program progress and evaluate program impact.
We are currently seeking a Communications Officer who will be responsible for supporting in the development and dissemination of materials for HKI-Indonesia.
Based in: Jakarta
Reports to: Sr. Operations Coordinator
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract type: Fixed Term
The Communications Officer will be responsible for supporting HKI-Indonesia in the development and dissemination of communications materials. In addition, the Communications Officer will assist HKI-Indonesia’s Country Management Team (CMT) to develop and implement a communications strategy.
- Develop, in collaboration with the SMT, HKI materials for internal and external publication;
- Oversee design, production, and maintenance of all institutional publications such as:
- Program reports;
- Success stories;
- Fact sheets;
- HKI’s profile;
- Contacts with local media;
- Photographs; and
- Other materials depending on a program’s need;
- Oversee a photographer or videographer for documentation purposes (and take photos and videos at events when appropriate);
- Verify compliance with HKI’s global branding strategies;
- Oversee translation from Bahasa Indonesian to English and vice versa;
- Review success stories of program;
- Responsible for press releases;
- Maintain communications materials and provide them to HKI-Indonesia staff on request;
- Serve as the lead on executing HKI’s communication strategy in Indonesia; and
- Other duties as assigned by HKI’s CMT.
- Degree in a relevant field including journalism, communications, or public affairs;
- At least three years of experience in the communications field, planning, writing, editing, and producing communications through a variety of print and online media, with new media technology utilization;
- Good written and conversational abilities in English;
- Ability to be self-reliant, results oriented, and manage multiple deadlines;
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs;
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision;
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive;
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to convey messages through clear and concise writing; and
- Ability to travel domestically.
Applications procedures:HKI is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities and special needs are encouraged to apply. To apply, please send an email that includes a cover letter and a resume to: Indonesia.Recruitment@hki.org and reference Communications Officer in the subject line. Please apply no later than July 14th, 2017. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.