Director, Indonesia Country Program
Application Deadline: 15th August 2017
The Center for People and Forests – RECOFTC holds a unique and important place in the world of forestry. It is the only international not-for-profit organization that specializes in capacity building for community forestry and devolved forest management. With 30 years of international experience and a dynamic approach to capacity development — involving research, analysis and synthesis, strategic communication, training and learning networks; and piloting and demonstrating — the Center for People and Forests delivers innovative solutions for people and forests.
In recent years, the organization has established Country Programs in Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Nepal, Thailand and Indonesia, with its headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand. The Center’s work focuses its programmatic activities to develop capacities for community forestry at all levels through its interlinked thematic focuses - securing community forestry; enhancing livelihoods and markets; people, forests and climate change; and transforming forest conflict. The Center for People and Forests’ current five year Strategic Plan (2013-18) will be coming to an end in September 2018, and therefore the Center is now in the process of developing a new strategic plan for 2018-23.
In Indonesia, the Center for People and Forests - RECOFTC has been engaged to build the capacity of village (community) forestry stakeholders for last two decades primarily through capacity development programs and strategic engagement with key partners and stakeholders. The Center has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Ministry of Forestry and Environment. In recent years, the Center for People and Forests Indonesia Country Program has implemented a number of projects, cutting across our key thematic areas.
The Center is currently seeking a Director for its Indonesia Country Program. The successful applicant will be based at Indonesia Country Program Office, located within the campus of Center for Forestry Education and Training (CFET) in Bogor, with frequent travel to country sites and in the region, mainly to the Center for People and Forests Regional Office in Bangkok. The contract period will be for 24 months with possibility of extension. This position is open to Indonesian candidates only.
The Director is responsible for the leading of the Indonesia Country Program (ICP) operation and administration, communication and information management, the direction and supervision of employees, and the design, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting of program and project activities. The ICP Director will report to Program Coordination and Operations (PROCO) Unit Manager of the Center for People and Forests Regional Office in Bangkok, Thailand.
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Business development (25%)
· Develop Indonesia Country Program business development and fundraising strategy with support from Senior Business Development Officer, PROCO Unit Manager and other relevant staff based at the Center for People and Forests Regional Office;
· Provide business intelligence to generate financial resources, to develop and diversify project portfolio and thus ensure financial sustainability of ICP;
· Represent the Center for People and Forests at the highest levels with donors, partners and relevant stakeholders at multilateral and bilateral meetings, conferences and donor events in the country;
- Work with communication team to develop corporate communication and advocacy strategy based on Indonesia Country Program engagement strategy; communicate the Center for People and Forests’ achievements to donors and act as a spokesperson at regional and national events;
· Identify strategic opportunities and promote an organization-wide culture of fundraising and business awareness to support country program implementation in focal landscapes and beyond;
2. Program management and delivery (40%)
· Manage the country program portfolio in order to achieve strategic and intermediate outcomes of the Center for People and Forests;
· Contribute to the Center for People and Forests’ overall strategy and take lead to implement the country engagement strategy, including development annual work plan for Indonesia Country Program office, timely submission of program activity planning on a monthly and quarterly basis and half yearly and annual progress reporting;
· Contribute and manage research and study in related topics to support innovation and knowledge management for country program design and implementation;
· Coordinate monitoring of project portfolio from various donors/funders from national and international agencies in order to ensure that project deliverables meet the timeline and the quality;
· Work with Project Coordinators of multi-country projects being implemented by the Center for People and Forests Regional Office that have components in Indonesia to ensure effective implementation and integration of projects into programmatic strategy to help achieve strategic outcomes of the Center for People and Forests;
- Oversee technical content of Indonesia Country Program communication tools and channels, including report writing, and translation of communication products in national language and vice-versa;
· Support the development of training modules and delivery of training programs, when needed;
3. Stakeholder networking and relationship building (20%)
· Develop and foster effective working relationship with Government from national to grassroots level. Engage with policy makers and National Community/Social Forestry Network/ Working group regarding opportunities and challenges facing Community/Social Forestry in Indonesia and make practical evidence based recommendations for improvements to regulatory frameworks;
· Establish, develop and maintain strategic partners and collaborators (Relevant ministries and departments within Indonesian Government, other NGOs, CBOs, INGOs and Private Sector) to explore area for collaboration and expanding the Center for People and Forests program activities and impacts in the country;
· Actively engage and collaborate with CF/SF networks and relevant organizations to help identify and share insights among communities and implementation partners, promote best practices for CF/SF and to monitor overall progress in the CF/SF sector;
· Represent the Center for People and Forests in events/meetings/conferences at various levels from national to international;
4. Monitoring and evaluation (5%)
· Work closely with the Center for People and Forests Regional Office based Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Program Officer to coordinate and supervise data inputs from various program and project activities in the country and generate evidences for reporting on strategic and intermediate outcomes;
· Responsible for progress reports to be submitted to program and project donors;
· Support analysis of M&E data to generate communication products to enhance ICP outreach;
5. Governance of ICP office (5%)
· Make effective use of Country Program Operations Manual to ensure smooth delivery of program activities. Ensure that the rules, regulations and practices in the country office comply with the country laws and regulations;
· Ensure compliance with the Center’s policies and procedures for program and project operations;
· Ensure transparency in all financial transactions related with project and program activities;
· Ensure timely update of financial expenditure records into the Center’s systems from country program and project activities;
6. Human resource development and management (5%)
· Manage program and project staff, including oversight of program administration and human resources;
· Develop Job Description for and facilitate recruitment of program and project staff and interns, as per the need as well undertaking regular performance appraisal according to Center’s policy;
· Create atmosphere for organizational learning, provide coaching and result-oriented leadership to the country program staff and interns;
· Stimulate individual staff performance and lead overall team development Source and manage appropriate experienced consultants when required;
· Perform other tasks as assigned by the Unit Manager, PROCO and Executive Director
Qualification and Experience
- At least 10 years of experience in managing program and project portfolio and fund raising in natural resource management sector, preferably on community/social forestry;
- Master’s degree or equivalent in forestry, natural resource management, social sciences, economics or a relevant field;
- Strong understanding of forestry context and priorities in Indonesia, and familiarity with the Center for People and Forests’ Regional Office and other focal countries;
- Strong experience in managing international donor-funded program and projects and CF/SF policy development;
- Strong leadership, mentoring and networking abilities;
- Strong organization, management and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrate proposal and report writing ability;
- Experience in natural resources capacity building and/or participatory training and curriculum development;
- Fluent written and spoken English and Indonesia Bahasa;
- Willingness to travel frequently to field sites, and occasionally to the Center for People and Forests Regional Office in Thailand.
In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics (including attitudes and skills):
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, individually and in-groups, with an ability to work as an active member of teams. This implies flexibility and open-mindedness;
- Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments (which is not inconsistent with an overall team approach);
- Ability to work in a variety of cultural and institutional contexts
Interested candidates are requested to submit a CV and cover letter indicating why they are suitable for this position along with salary expectations and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors to HR@recoftc.org. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. The Center for People and Forests is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.
Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short‐listed candidates will be notified.
To learn more about the Center for People and Forests, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
The Center for People and Forests retains the right to offer this position at a job grade relevant to the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.