Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Community Engagement & Gender Officer-SII (2
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Field Project Manager
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The
Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the 'Iconic Island'. Hivos
Southeast Asia aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy
to the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency
on fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local
population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to
establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos
Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while
combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of
the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with
the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos
Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income
benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models
developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is
working to achieve two outcomes; improvement of rural livelihoods through
utilization of renewable energy in rural communities; and sustainable
business models to create market (energy market and energy appliances
market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The Community Engagement and Gender Officer will be responsible for
implementing gender related activities under the Sumba Iconic Island and
fostering local community active engagement in the project. He/she will
report directly to Field Project Manager and working closely with the field
team and Gender Consultant. This position will be based in Sumba office,
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi
stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realizing 100%
renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. Develop instruments to integrate and monitor gender aspects in Sumba
Iconic Island activities
3. Prepare and deliver a gender mainstreaming programme to team members,
partners and target beneficiaries
4. Ensuring that gender agreed indicators are efficiently being met
according to Hivos Southeast Asia and donor's requirements
5. Where appropriate deliver a ToT programme for local people to create
a group gender and energy advocators
6. Provide support to surveys and research activities undertaken in the
programme target areas to ensure proper gender integration
7. Together with Field Project Implementor, identify new locations/areas
for potential gender and renewable energy implementation involving local
community and partner especially women
8. Provide support and guidance to local implementing partner to ensure
projects activities are promoting active involvement of community member
especially women and implemented in accordance with approved project
documents and meet Hivos Southeast Asia' donor compliance standards, rules
9. Identify capacity gaps and gender training needs for local partners
to improve their skills in project management and implementation.
10. Contribute to the development and implementation of gender sensitive
monitoring systems and do regular field visits to program targeted districts
and communities and assist ME&L Officer in monitoring the implementation.
11. Contribute to knowledge development and facilitate document processes,
models, best practices and lessons learnt on community engagement and gender
mainstreaming into access energy activities
12. Advocate to local authorities and communities on gender inclusive
approach in energy projects
13. Ensure expenses are reported in parallel with activities implementation
and coordinate with finance staff on financial reporting.
14. Contribute to dissemination of results and sharing of information
through website articles, presentations, contributions to brochures,
travelling exhibit, etc.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
* A degree in social science or equivalent
* Proven experience and understanding in gender mainstreaming in
development programmes/projects in particular renewable energy
* Experience knowledge of the challenges with respect to gender
mainstreaming, preferably within renewable energy
* Good understanding of the socio-economic, gender and development
* Professional written and verbal communication skills including
public speaking in Bahasa Indonesia, working knowledge and experience in
* Show successful track record working in and within multidisciplinary
* Experience in coordination of research activities and monitoring and
* Strong interpersonal communication to effectively interact with
civil society organizations, government officials and community.
* Sound experience in contributing to partnerships and multi actor
* Previous working experience in an international
environment/organization would be an advantage
* Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing
to work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for ('Community Engagement
& Gender Officer-SII') in the 'subject' line of your email. Only shortlisted
candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.