Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Field Project Implementor-SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Programme Officer Sustainable Energy
The Iconic island initiative aims to provide access to reliable renewable
forms of energy to the population of a medium sized Indonesian island thus
ending their dependency on fossil fuels and increasing access to energy
sources. This in turn is expected to stimulate economic activities of the
local population. The project will focus on the energy needs of households,
public facilities, offices and small industries, and is to be carried out as
a collaborative initiative between stakeholders.
The Iconic Island initiative has been launched by Hivos Southeast Asia end
2010 with support of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) of
Indonesia. Since then several stakeholders from private sector, civil
society and governments have engaged in the initiative. The ministry and
Hivos Southeast Asia have formed a taskforce that comprises officials from
national government, the regional government of NTT, the district
governments of Sumba, PLN's national and regional offices, private sector,
higher education and civil society organizations. The structure of the task
force includes a steering committee, working groups and a national
secretariat as set up by the Ministry. Hivos Southeast asia has been tasked
to run the secretariat.
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has decided to support the Iconic Island
initiative with technical assistance (TA) to design and implement energy
access programs based on renewable energy sources until April 2015. The TA
addresses key priorities elaborated in the ADB energy sector assessment,
strategy and road map for Indonesia (ASR), namely: improving access to
reliable sources of power in rural areas, and expanded use of renewable
energy. And in 2013, the Norwegian Embassy has also assumed a role in
supporting the implementation of Sumba Iconic Island initiative.
The Field Project Implementor will be responsible for monitoring,
coaching/mentoring and facilitating local partners in implementing a
successful renewable energy projects in Sumba according to Hivos Southeast
Asia 's standard and project indicator.
He/she will report directly to Programme Officer Sustainable Energy and in
close coordination with Field Coordinator. The Field Project Implementor
will be based in Sumba.
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi
stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realising 100%
renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. To support the effective communication with the Sumba Iconic Island
Task Force and other stakeholders in Sumba.
3. Support the implementation of Hivos Southeast Asia' project funded
activities in Sumba.
4. Identify new locations/areas for potential renewable energy
implementation involving local community and partner.
5. Provide support and guidance to local implementing partner to ensure
projects activities are implemented in accordance with approved project
documents and meet Hivos' donor compliance standards, rules and regulations.
6. Identify capacity gaps and training needs for local partners to
improve their skills in project management and implementation.
7. Conduct regular field visits to program targeted districts and
communities and assist in monitoring the implementation.
8. Ensure high quality of service provided to communities by providing
technical review and feedback on findings and recommendations, and also
ensuring adequate follow-up.
9. Facilitate document processes, models, best practices and lessons
learnt are integrated into activities implemented.
10. Advocate to local authorities' community's needs, and rising awareness
on vulnerability identified.
11. Ensure expenses are reported in parallel with activities implementation
and coordinate with finance staff on financial reporting.
12. Ensure high-quality narrative and finance reporting; and assist
partners to provide reports within agreed time frames.
13. Represent Hivos Southeast Asia for outreach and general coordination
(i.e. local or provincial meetings, commune coordination meetings) as
14. To support and facilitate visits or visitors (journalists, consultants,
politicians, donors) to Sumba including logistics preparation as requested.
15. Together with Hivos Southeasat Asia team in Jakarta and the Netherlands
develop and implement fundraising strategy to support a successful
implementation of Sumba Island initiative.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. A bachelor degree in rural development, sustainable energy,
environmental and natural resource management, economics of natural
resources or other comparable education.
2. An excellent understanding of energy project development, project
management and community engagement.
3. Good understanding of the socio-economic aspects, including gender,
of development projects.
4. Professional written and verbal communication skills including public
speaking in Bahasa Indonesia, working knowledge and experience in English.
5. Show successful track record working in and within multidisciplinary
6. Minimum 3 years of professional experience in energy access
7. Strong interpersonal communication to effectively interact with
donors, civil society organizations, government officials and community.
8. Sound experience in contributing to partnerships and multi actor
9. Good understanding of and strong affinity with civil society, in
particular with non-governmental organizations.
10. Previous working experience in an international
environment/organization would be an advantage.
11. Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to
work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for ('Field Project
Implementor-SII') in the 'subject' line of your email. Only shortlisted
candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.