Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Project Coordinator Sumba Iconic Island
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Project Manager Green Energy (Sumba)
The Hivos programmes focus on two main themes: Open and Green Society. The
Project Coordinator SII will operate within the framework of the Green
Energy team in the Jakarta office.
In 2010 Hivos started the Iconic Island initiative. The Indonesian island of
Sumba was chosen as the 'Iconic Island'. Hivos aims to provide access to
reliable renewable forms of energy to the population of this island, and in
doing so, ending their dependency on fossil fuels and support development
and economic activities of the local population. With years of experience
working with partner organizations to establish access to sustainable energy
in developing countries, Hivos is convinced that converting to sustainable
energy while combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The
results of the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other
parts of the world.
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with
the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos
Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income
benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models
developed under our Indonesia Domestic Biogas Programme (IDBP) and Sumba
Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is working to achieve two
1) Improvement of rural livelihoods through utilization of renewable
energy in rural communities; and
2) Sustainable business models to create market (energy market and energy
appliances market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The Project Coordinator SII will provide senior leadership and be
responsible for the day-to-day management including planning, implementing
and monitoring of the project and will co-responsible for the coordination
with the consortium partners. The position is Jakarta-based with frequent
travel to implementation locations within Indonesia, in particular to Sumba
Island, East Nusa Tenggara province.
Roles and responsibilities
1. Play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi
stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realising 100%
renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. Supervise the day-to-day work of SII project staff, identify and
resolve problems as needed and ensure that staff are performing according to
their job descriptions, programme guidelines, budgets, implementation plans
and other relevant instruction.
3. Support the recruitment of SII field staff in Sumba and assist in the
preparation of Terms of References for consultants and programme activities.
4. Establish and foster good coordination among stakeholders and play a
leading role in the communication and coordination with consortium partners.
5. Assist in research, studies and surveys and evaluation activities.
6. Liaise with stakeholders (government, NGOs, private sector,
cooperatives) and maintain a network to support the development of renewable
7. Together with Field Project Manager carry responsibility for
delivering high quality and timely outputs as planned.
8. Together with the PM Green Energy (Sumba) be accountable for SII
project deliverables to the donor(s).
9. Draft the quarterly project narrative reports based on the input from
Field Project Manager and ME&L Officer in accordance with donor requirements
and ensure the submission of the reports within agreed deadlines.
10. Responsibility to check financial reports before being submitted to
11. Identify and assess problems/specific issues and work to resolve it
together with PM and PDM (Program Development Manager) Green Energy.
12. Lead the technical work coordination of consortium project members
(Winrock International, Village Infrastructure Angels and Yayasan Rumah
13. Support knowledge dissemination through training, mentoring and field
visits and undertake clients' feedback.
14. To roll out new innovative initiatives that are relevant to SII
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. A master degree in rural development, sustainable energy,
environmental and natural resource management, economics of natural
resources or other relevant field (or Bachelor degree with several years of
2. An excellent understanding of and experience in energy
3. Profound understanding of the socio-economic aspects, including
gender, of development projects.
4. Professional written and verbal communication skills including public
speaking in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
5. Able to show successful track record working in and within
6. Minimum 5-7 years of professional experience in program design,
management and evaluation
7. Strong interpersonal communication and negotiation skills to
effectively interact with donors, civil society organizations, government
officials and community
8. Sound experience in managing partnerships and multi actor initiatives
9. Good understanding of technical aspects of renewable energy
10. Previous working experience in an international
environment/organization would be an advantage
11. Having respect for humanitarian and humanist principles and willing to
work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
12. Willing to travel and stay at Sumba (up to one quarter of the time) and
other places in Indonesia for related meetings.
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for ('Project Coordinator
SII') in the 'subject' line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.