Technical Project Officer
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
In agriculture, SNV works to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers, pastoralists and forest-dependent communities. In turn, we engage with companies to provide innovative, market-based solutions to the issues of sustainable markets, food security and climate change.
To support the program, we are now seeking a qualified candidate to fill the post of Technical Project Officer to work on the EC funded PROSPECT Indonesia project - Promoting Sustainable Consumption and Production of Eco Friendly Rattan in Indonesia. SNV is supporting Perkumpulan Untuk Peningkatan Usaha Kecil (PUPUK) in implementing this project with a particular focus on working with processors to implement Inclusive Business Models: sustainable entrepreneurial initiatives that contribute to poverty reduction by including lower-income communities within the value chains of companies as employees, suppliers, consumers or distributors.
From 2016-2017 SNV will focus on introducing and promoting new energy saving technologies for the small and medium scale Rattan furniture producers, especially in Cirebon. Technologies include the introduction of better wood fired steamers/boilers built with affordable local materials and improved gas burners. These technologies are simple and not expensive, but save a considerable amount of energy. Through including larger and smaller businesses, SNV wishes to spread knowledge and interest in these new technologies throughout the Rattan industry.
In coordination with the SNV Renewable Energy expert and Rattan Project Manager
- Work towards understanding and promoting rural and small scale industry energy saving technologies
- Encourage large and small scale rattan processors to introduce Energy Saving Practices within their operations.
- Support the creation a market model for the energy saving products develop within the project framework: including cost-benefit analyses, production costs, cost savings etc at different levels of the Rattan production chain
- Organize trainings for Large and Small scale industry in relation to, improved energy techniques, factory safety and clean production practices
- Support training on inclusive business models to promote knowledge sharing within the sector.
- Support the Agricultural Sector Leader and Project Manager in implemention of other aspects of the Agricultural program when needed
- Deliver support in content and knowledge to PUPUK whenever needed
Technical Project Officer will work in close cooperation with PUPUK under supervision of the SNV Project Manager and the SNV Sector Leader for Agriculture.
- A degree in Marketing, business management, (social) entrepreneurship, or other relevant discipline
- A minimum 5 years of relevant working experience: Strong expertise in Business to Business sales or product promotion a strong advantage
- A willingness to learn quickly the new technologies being promoted.
- Experience in working with Small and Medium scale industries.
- Good networking skills with willingness to take initiative
- Results orientated with an entrepreneurial attitude
- Very good skills in sales and promotion, preferably in the private sector
- An understanding of the rattan furniture industry is an advantage
- Strong communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia
Duty station: Cirebon with frequent travel to other areas in Indonesia. Please note that the successful candidate needs to be based in Cirebon on a permanent basis.
Contract duration: 9 month with fixed term type of contract.
Desired start date: As soon as possible.
How to apply?
Please send your application letter describing how you meet the candidate profile and CV (in English), together with an indication of your current or expected salary and compensation package by 26 February 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: “TPO Rattan”
For more information on SNV please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.