Simavi is an ambitious, growing development organisation of more than 50 people, based in the Netherlands. Together with local partners, we improve the health of people in the poorest regions in developing countries. With more than one hundred partners we work together with communities. We influence the policies of governments to take into account the health and rights of the poorest people. We campaign to engage the general public and involve them in what we do. We focus on the poorest regions of nine developing countries in Asia and Africa.
Simavi is looking for a:
Project Officer PROPOPI
This vacancy is open to Indonesian nationals only
Simavi has been operational in Indonesia since 1925 by working through local NGO partners both in WASH and SRHR sectors. Currently Simavi is involved in PROPOPI, a public-private partnership project between PDAM Kota Bandung, Vitens Evides International, TU Delft, and Simavi, funded by FDW (Fonds Duurzaame Water/the Dutch Sustainable Water Funds). The objective of PROPOPI is to improve pro-poor access and quality of water supply in Bandung, West Java, by providing drinking water to additional 35,000 people (which includes building 120 stand posts serving 12,000 poor people located in 12 currently unconnected communities) as well as improving service level for 300,000 customers.
Simavi is responsible for the community participation component of this project, which consists of (i) increasing awareness and ownership among the poor costumers and (ii) supporting PDAM and Bandung City Government in implementation of urban Sanitasi Total Berbasis Masyarakat (STBM) in the targeted locations.
Therefore Simavi is looking for someone to be based in the project office in Bandung to manage and coordinate the implementation of Simavi’s component of this project.
The Project Officer PROPOPI (POP) is responsible for the daily implementation of Simavi’s activities within the FDW-PROPOPI Project in Bandung.
Position in the organisation
The POP reports to the Simavi Country Representative (CR) Indonesia based in Jakarta, supported by Senior Programme Officer (SPO) based in the Netherlands. The POP will work from the PROPOPI project office at PDAM Bandung and coordinates/collaborates with the other project partners’ staff assigned for this project.
Tasks and responsibilities
1. Project implementation
- Responsible for the daily implementation of Simavi’s activities within PROPOPI.
- Executes Simavi’s work plan in coordination with the other project partners, and adapt as necessary in consultation with the CR and SPO.
- Manages Simavi’s local project budget.
- Organises workshops and/or capacity building activities for local government, PDAM, and local Community-Based Organisations (CBOs) on STBM and community mobilisation.
- Assists and monitors the CBOs in their activities mobilising the communities.
- Monitors progress and performance of the project implementation on the basis of visits and discussions with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensures timely and quality reporting on the programme to Simavi headquarters.
- Acts as the main point of contact for the partner organisations and Simavi Indonesia office and headquarters in relation to PROPOPI.
2. Partnership management and external communication
- Maintains active and pro-active communication with the other project partners involved.
- Represents Simavi in workshops, meetings, or other events in Indonesia related to PROPOPI, together with the CR.
- Promotes PROPOPI Project in Indonesia whenever possible and relevant.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in the field of community or local development
- Master degree in social development studies, or other relevant field
- Practical experience in implementing community development and capacity building activities, preferably in the WASH sector
- Practical experience with and knowledge of managing a project budget
- Practical experience in working with local government institutions
- Sound knowledge of the current developments, research, best practices and policy direction in the Indonesian WASH sector, and especially in the areas of sanitation (STBM and sanitation marketing approaches), hygiene promotion, environmental programming, drinking water and programme integration with health and education.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English as well as Bahasa Indonesia to convey complex and technical issues in a clear, concise manner
- Project management and organisation skills
- Facilitation/training skills desirable
- Confident to work independently and take initiative and able to work within a team
- Ability to question and challenge people in a constructive manner, but also to work with diplomacy and creative problem solving techniques when interests and opinions differ
- Pro-active attitude and is capable to operate in a flexible and pioneering environment.
- Comfortable in a wide range of cultural and operational situations, demonstrating culturally sensitive behaviour with a diverse range of people
- Computer skills such as spreadsheet, e-mail, database management and word processing
Location and starting date
Based in: Bandung, Indonesia.
Preferred starting date: a.s.a.p.
1 year contract (fulltime) with possible extension and good primary and secondary conditions.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Dinnia Joedadibrata email@example.com
To get to know our organisation, please visit our website www.simavi.org.
Do you recognise yourself in the profile? Candidates are invited to apply before February 22nd, 2016. Please send your letter and resume (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org, using reference Project Officer PROPOPI.
Apply only when you fit the total job description. References will be checked.
Interviews are aimed to take place between February 29th and March 11th 2016.
Commercial inquiries or job postings are not appreciated or accepted regarding this vacancy.