The Federal Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany supports the process of regional integration in the ASEAN region with a capacity development project that is aimed at strengthening the ASEAN Secretariat (ASEC). It has entrusted GIZ – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Germany with the implementation of this project. In accordance with the project’s objective of ‘strengthening theinstitutional capacity and outreach of the ASEAN Secretariat’, the project supports the ASEC in institution and capacity development under the components of: a) Strengthening ASEC’s Key Functional Units organisationalstructure and operational processes; and b) Strengthening ASEC’s role in coordinating key AEC initiatives related to SMEs.
As it is the case with almost all regional integration processes, economic integration fulfils the role of a driving force within the ASEAN, which is aimed at advancing wider political integration.
We seek a qualified Indonesian candidate for
Advisor Regional Economic Integration
The incumbent is in charge of the project’s component 2 ‘Strengthening ASEC’s role in coordinating key AEC initiatives’ and its related modules a) AEC Information Provision to SMEs; and b) Policy Dialogue on Regional Business Conditions.
1. Professional Advising and Consulting
In charge of implementation of agreed project activities and advisory supporting the ASEAN Secretariat’s Competition, Consumer Protection & IPR Division (CCPID); including development of ‘Terms of References (ToR)’ for short-term experts, quality assurance of short-term expert assignments; etc.
2. Networking and cooperation
Develop and maintain close contacts to relevant stakeholders on ‘ASEAN Economic Integration’ issues and in particular related to ‘Small & Medium Enterprise (SME)’ amongst all GIZ, ‘ASEAN Dialogue Partners’ (EU, DFAT, USAID, Japan) and ASEAN Entity (e.g. ERIA) projects represented in the ASEAN Secretariat.
3. Knowledge management
Adhere to GIZ best knowledge management practice upon instruction of the principal advisor
4. General Obligations
- Coordinate relevant project component activities, including logistics and event management - at national and regional level - in consultation with the Principal Advisor & Administration/Event Management Professional and in close cooperation with respective ASEC Divisions, contracted Consultants / Consultancy Firms and other relevant stakeholders;
- Timely and comprehensive project component related reporting, including contributions to ‚quarterly reports‘ to the ASEAN Secretariat and Annual Reports to the commissioning party (German Federal Foreign Office), to be submitted to the ‘Project Principal Advisor‘;
- Contribute to regular project Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) reporting;
- Contribute to regular project (component 2) budget monitoring;
- Represent GIZ and the project (component) during related meetings and events inside and outside Indonesia (if applicable);
- Perform other duties and tasks as agreed upon with the Project Principal Advisor, which may not be explicitly mentioned in the job description.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master (MSc./MA) degree in Economics, Business Administration or related field;
- Proficiency in English both oral and written as a precondition; good knowledge of German and of one other official language of ASEAN member states, as an additional asset;
- At least 10 years’ professional experience in comparable positions and at least 3 years of professional experience in GIZ;
- Preferably 2 years working experience with the ASEAN Secretariat in Jakarta/Indonesia or related ASEAN Organs and/or ASEAN associated entities and/or other international/regional organisations in Southeast Asia;
- Very good communication skills (oral and written);
- Proven moderations skills;
- Very good working knowledge of ITC technologies and computer applications;
- Proven team player.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Direct Supervisor: Project Principal Advisor/Project Manager
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on 25 April 2016.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: ASEC – AREI.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.