: Media & Communication Manager
: 2 (two) years
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is one of the nine Regional Sections of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) which is based in Jakarta, Indonesia.UCLG is the largest association of local governments in the world and the officially recognized voice of local goverbment by the United Nations. The Asia and Pacific region is the biggest of the nine sections in UCLG with linkages to more than 7.000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billiion people-more than half of the world population-and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, support cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilities programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the International community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusice societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, local finance, and good governance.
The Media and Communication Manager will be hired for 2 (two) years period with possible of extension and will be placed at UCLG ASPAC Secretariat Office in Jakarta. The post will be managed the Media and Communication Division and developing the communication strategy, which included to be responsible to promote UCLG ASPAC to be more visible and recognizable.
Objective and goal:
- To be responsible for the development and implementation of UCLG ASPAC short to long terms communication strategies
- To be responsible in developing and expanding the whole UCLG media and communication programme, including (but not limited to) publication, website development plan, public engagement, social media strategy, and media engagement. To be responsible for the deliverables and quality control of UCLG publication initiatives which include content planning, editing and production of the media/communication materials.
- To be responsible in aligning the media and publication activities with UCLG fund raising activities
- To be responsible in encouraging the whole UCLG ASPAC team members to become UCLG voices in promoting the organisation.
Scope of Work/Key Duties
Under this Scope of Work, the Media and Communication Manager will carry out the following key activities:
A. Media and Communication Development
- Develop and implement short and long-term UCLG media and communication strategies.
- Manage the entire operation of the Media and Communication division.
- Manage the development, editing and publishing of publications, such as newsletters, annual reports, panels, and brochures, etc.
- Play a leading role in the development of a coherent in country media and communications strategy, including the development of the monitoring and evaluation system related to media and communications.
- Facilitate the implementation of the media and communications strategy at the international and national levels, including providing support to media and communications elements in programmes and projects at national and international levels.
- Take a lead in maintaining link of national, and international media outlets (TV, radio, print, and online) and maintain responsibility for developing strong news, stories which bring together organization’s programme and profile.
- Provide a timely response to incoming enquiries from national and international medias
- Take a lead in drafting news releases, opinion pieces and other media engagement documents, and take documents through sign off procedures.
- Develop media advocacy strategies activities in country through training, providing quality information and analysis, and facilitating sharing experiences and learning.
- Prepare reports related to communication to UCLG ASPAC Executive Bureau, Council and General Assembly Meetings and to UCLG World (headquarters) as required.
B. Media and Communication Programme Monitoring
- Take a lead in monitoring the Indonesian media, both to spot opportunities for organization and to assist with providing regular summary information and updates overviews regarding organization, its members, its partners, and their activities in the media.
- Effectively monitoring and evaluating various communication tools and activities to measure the impact on achieving the overall objectives
C. Website Management and Development
- Assess the current UCLG ASPAC website structure and contents for ease of accessibility , quality contents, user-friendliness, ease maintenance/updated and information retrieval
- Access other website for reference, applying the advantages of layout design, navigation, usability to the redesign and implementation
- Design the website structure, and taking into account the requirement from UCLG ASPAC : clear catalogs & folder for data & page storage, attractive site & page layout, easy to use, update and maintain
- Website development, including content creation and the methods for managing a website and other social media platforms suitable for the vision and mission of UCLG ASPAC and escalating the dissemination of objectives and interaction with members/partner/donor agencies utilizing the most appropriate media platforms to meet the desired needs
- Design template for technical maintenance and content management
- Gather informative contents for the web presence (text, document, pictures, etc)
- Prepare recommendation for backup/restore plan
- Training to UCLG ASPAC staff member on website maintenance and content update
- Design and establish plan for website security (antivirus, data security etc)
- Prepare recommendations for software, hardware, and other back-end applications related to web development and management.
D. Public Engagement and Promotion Program
- Design template for ongoing public engagement and promotion program
E. Fund Raising Activities
- Design and Conduct fund raising activities for expanding the media and publication activities.
F. Organizational Development Activities
- Perform other tasks to develop the organization from the perspective of communication as requested by the Secretary General
Special Requirements of the Assignment
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, and/or related fields or other background with relevant professional track record.
- At least 8 (eight) years of professional experience in public relations and/or journalistic workand working in a similar position in an NGP and/or International Organization. Experience in the area of web platform development/management is desirable
- Proficiency in designing and developing public relations/media tools.
- Excellent communication and writing skills (Indonesia and English).
- Highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft/edit texts and to articulate ideas in clear, concise style to a variety of audiences, as well as facilitation skills
- Shows persistence and ability to identify strategic issues, opportunities and risks, and communication broad
- Intermediate to advanced MS office skills in all basic Microsoft word programs and publication software.
- Basic IT knowledge is preferable.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines required.
- Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
- Positive work ethic with a willingness to learn
- Considerable domestic and international travel may be required
- Producing UCLG ASPAC public engagement strategy (including media and communication strategy)
- Producing website development strategy
- Developing training manual of website development
- Regularly updated database of contact information of media outlets (including list of journalists)
- Other supporting documents foras required by the Secretary General
- Media and Communication Strategy
- Website development manual and plan
- Design and template for content management
- Public engagement and promotion template
- Monitoring & Evaluation tools of media & communication which include (but not limited to) Number of UCLG ASPAC publications and media coverage as well as website visitor monitoring report
- UCLG ASPAC fund raising strategies and its approach
The post will be supervised by the Secretary General and supported by Information and Communication Officer
Interested Candidate should submit Application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for Application submission is 05:00 PM, 22 April 2016 with Subject Email: ASPAC-MCMO2016 – Your Name
Thank you very much for your kind attention
Human Resources Manager of UCLG ASPAC