Post Title : Program Manager – Resilience Activities
Post Level : Manager Level - J (based on experience)
Contract Duration : 12 months with extension
Base of assignment : Jakarta
Report to : Country Representative
Summary of Position
Organizational Context - The American Red Cross (Amcross) helps vulnerable people around the world to prevent, prepare for and respond to disasters, complex humanitarian emergencies and life-threatening health conditions. It is a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and works closely with Palang Merah Indonesia (PMI). Currently Amcross supports programs in Aceh, Jakarta, West and Central Java, Bali and NTB. Amcross works with the Indonesia Red Cross (PMI) focusing on 2 program sectors: Disaster Management, and Organizational Development.
Programmatic Context – This position will be responsible to help manage American Red Cross funded resilience project(s) - both ongoing Greater Jakarta Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Risk Management and Coastal Community Resilience Project. The project’s components basically have three main components; 1) strengthen PMI capacity in term of Disaster Preparedness, response and management; 2) strengthen community resiliency from future disasters, through PMI - Integrated Community Based Risk Reduction (ICBRR) Platform; and 3) strengthen relationship between PMI and other relevant key stakeholders including local government, corporate sector, academic and research institutions and other civil society organizations towards improving community resiliency, including environmental rehabilitation and improvement.
The Program Manager – Resiliency Activities will work with ARC Sr. DM Officer, PMI NHQ and respective ARC colleagues in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project(s) to significantly strengthen the capacity of PMI in resource development, volunteer management, and financial management to prepare for and respond to future disasters. The Program Manager will also support any project development, including assessment, and proposal development. The Program Manager will report to the Country Representative of American Red Cross.
Duties applicable to all
- Responsible for Greater Jakarta Project – ensuring it meets objectives and to well consider and incorporate recommendations from the last evaluation
- Work with the AmCross Country Representative on new program designs, including the Mangrove Corridors - Blue Carbon initiative and scale a separate Solid waste management proposal.
- This position will supervise and provide management guidance to the two other DM staff
- Work towards the achievement of American Red Cross goals in the country/region of operation through effective managerial, lateral relations and teamwork
- Ensure understanding of roles, responsibilities, lateral relationships and accountabilities
- Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the supervisor
- Ensures good information flow among all American Red Cross programs
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Country Representative with number of program related issues and sectors – most especially associated with Disaster Management primarily with the Indonesia Red Cross and International Federation of the Red Cross
- Support Country Representative to institutionalize Disaster Management guidelines and policies as developed internally within ARC, Movement and externally i.e. UN, local authorities
- Provide field assistance to the team conducting assessments, monitoring if required;
- Attend meetings, workshops and/or training programs as required. Present program ideas and carry out discussions on behalf of ARC when required.
- Support Country Representative in the preparation of program documentation, assessments and studies as required;
- Responsible for managing American Red Cross funded resiliency project activities - both ongoing Greater Jakarta Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Risk Management and Coastal Community Resilient Project.
- Provide support and guidance to PMI at the NHQ level, and as relevant to Chapter and Branches to define and manage the project CBDRM scope, including all activities required to deliver the planned activities with a high quality standard.
- Work closely with PMI to ensure efficient utilization of the project duration by developing accurate planning/schedule which should be done by comprehensively identifying the activities that need to be performed to produce the project deliverables; identifying the relationships that exist among the various scheduled activities; allocating the type and quantity of resources available/required to perform each scheduled activity.
- Provide support and guidance in developing budgets, identifying cost estimates, as well as regularly monitoring budgets and expenditures, in close collaboration and coordination with Finance. Ensure that all supply chain management (procurement, logistic, and asset) that are related to the project comply with the procedures and SOPs
- Help PMI to identify and monitor all potential project risks and plan for actions to mitigate the risk and its impact to the project performance.
- Conduct field visit to project sites on a regular basis for monitoring, provision of hands-on support and quality assurance.
- Facilitate PMI to prepare project documentation and reporting to ensure all required report are submitted on time, accurate, and complete. This is including provision of information for monthly CR report, Sub Recipient Monitoring Checklist, as well as Quarterly Project Report along with updated indicator tracking table; project documentation and knowledge management.
- Maintain Communication and coordination with PMI, IFRC, and PNSs about the risk reduction programming to share experiences/lesson learned Prepare to assume auxiliary management role in disaster response with PMI.
- Provide inputs as required to strategic planning process, achievement of activity targets and required modification of program objectives including
- Support the Country Representative by contributing to the identification and development of new projects activities in cooperation with PMI colleagues.
- Undertake relevant tasks as assigned by the Country Representative when required
Monthly progress reports to Country Representative, quarterly analysis documentation to capture lessons and action oriented recommendations for the future. Participation, inputs and support in a number of other documentation/information processes, mentioned within the JD.
- At least 8 years’ experience in Disaster Management Field particularly community resiliency; 8 years minimum in project management and development; Understanding of and/or experienced with Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement; Capacity building and/or experience with institutional strengthening; Experience with international organization (preferred)
- University degree is Social Science, Disaster Management, Environmental Protection and/or relevant field is required. Master Degree is preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Good level of understanding about organizational change
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in English and Indonesian (written and spoken) required.
- Good computers skills (Windows, Spreadsheets, Word Processing)
- Self-motivated, with good judgment and initiative.
- Able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and achieve results through collaboration
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change
Please submit your application and curriculum vitae in English not later than June 26, 2016 to email@example.com placing the job title in the subject line and label your CV with your name (CV max. 200KB size). Only short listed candidates will be notified. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.