Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is one of Germany’s oldest and largest social welfare organisations with over
200 offices and a membership of 1.2 million.
ASB Indonesia and Philippines aims to build resilience through inclusive and risk aware development. ASB
has been working in Indonesia, in partnership with the Indonesian Ministry of Home Affairs, since 2006. In
Indonesia ASB works directly with partners and communities, and in support of government, to empower
and build resilience through an inclusive whole-of-community approach.
Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFFDRR) and 2030 Agenda place risk management
central to resilience. Risk prevention and reduction are increasingly recognised as central to development
alongside an ongoing emphasis on preparedness for response in the SFDRR. At the same time, a
broadened understanding of risk management, under the umbrella of resilience, is proving challenging to
governments. The challenges lie in integrating key development components, such as income generation
for the poor, alongside improved preparedness initiatives.
The project ‘Strengthening of DRR capacities and resilience of coastal communities in West Sumatera,
therefore, seeks to link socio-economic development activities and risk management to reduce underlying
risk factors in two districts in West Sumatera, Pesisir Selatan and the Mentawai Islands. The project key
components include capacity building for community through institutionalised and practical integration of
preparedness and livelihood development measurements. The inclusion of most at-risk groups, i.e. women,
older people and persons with disability in the project implementation will serve as social cohesion
contributor to strengthen community resilience. The project will also seek to support governance capacities
in the two working areas.
The project will seek synergies with government planning and programming where possible and promote
greater emphasis on risk management and inclusion of highly at risks in line with the National Resilient
Village Programme priorities.
ASB Indonesia and Philippines is seeking expression of interest from qualified and committed individuals
for following position :
JOB TITLE : Project Manager
REPORTS TO : Programme Manager / Country Director
LOCATION : West Sumatera, Pesisir Selatan and Mentawai Island with travel to other project areas and potential
SUPERVISES : Project team and project support personnel
PERIOD : August 2016 - April 2019
Responsibilities for overall project management, planning and oversight including financial management.
To ensure quality delivery of project activities and outcomes, coordination of project team and point of
liaison for project stakeholders. To actively support staff capacity development and to contribute to building
project linkages within the whole of ASB Indonesia and the Philippines programming.
Duties & Essential Job Functions:
1. Support and work closely with Programme Manager/Country Director to ensure quality delivery in
line with donor, partner (including government) and ASB expectations and contractual agreements.
2. Ensure planning and compliance regarding activities, outputs (with due regard to outcomes) and
financial compliance in close coordination with Finance Coordinator/Finance and Operations
3. Conduct regular budget planning, review and monitoring in close coordination with Finance
4. Ensure project team adhere to ASB’s Code of Conduct, Standard Operational Procedures and
5. Representation of ASB to project partners, government and to other concerned parties including
informal and formal coordination meetings, conferences, capacity building activity and similar.
6. Work closely with Training and Capacity Transfer Coordinator to design and develop quality
capacity building activities for community and local government.
7. Ensure participation of key stakeholders in project and monitoring and evaluation activities with
particular regard to participation and inclusion of potentially at-risk groups according to gender,
age, disability and socio-economic standing. Also, pay due regard to individuals who may be
impacted as indirect beneficiaries of project activities.
8. Provide mentoring and actively contribute to staff development, capacity building and skills
9. In cases any underperformance assist Human Resources Coordinator and project teams to seek
suitable solution and to raise performance levels to expected high standards.
10. Sharing of information, and key lessons learned, between and across ASB projects and inform
projects of particular good and best practice examples to encourage and stimulate quality.
11. Support and work closely with Programme Manager/Country Director to maintain and further
develop quality programming of ASB Indonesia and the Philippines.
12. Provide technical support regarding inclusion and education and training to project teams.
13. Maintain full quality project documentation for ASB, donor, and partner including government
14. Support and advise teams to ensure accurate reporting of project outputs and activities.
Output: The main outputs and verifiable deliverables of the position are:
1. The delivery of the above to ensure the quality of programming and to support the successful
implementation of projects.
2. Project outputs and activities delivered against indicators according to ASB and partner
expectations and contractual obligations.
3. Full documentation and filing of activities concerning project performance and mentoring activities
4. Documentation and publication of best practices (electronic and print media).
5. Notes and minutes of formal and informal meetings concerning project performance with project
6. Regular spoken updates to Programme Manager/Country Director.
7. The prompt reporting of underperformance issues and risks to the Programme Manager/Country
Director and Human Resources Coordinator.
8. Monthly summary reports of activities, issues and recommendations submitted to the Programme
9. Quarterly report to donor and partner including government.
10. Monthly work log.
Minimum 6 years of related experience of project management.
Knowledge of disaster risk reduction is required.
Experience of working with government is required.
Skills and knowledge of capacity building is required.
Knowledge of livelihood and/or business development is an asset
Knowledge of international, national, local risk management policy and planning an advantage.
Knowledge of gender, disability and inclusion an advantage.
Excellent project financial plannning, review and monitoring.
Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently to deadlines.
Excellent reporting skills both in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required.
High level of analytical skills.
Excellent communication and coordination skills.
English language proficiency.
Computer literate (minimum MS Office).
Able to multi-task and work to achieve deadlines.
Able to work under own initiative as well as within a team in a multicultural environment
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants should send :
a) application letter outlining your interest
b) curriculum vitae max: 2 pages clearly describing your relevant qualifications and experience
c) 2 referees’ contact details.
d) Email application should using subject line : IDN1602_PM
Send your applications to Ms. Rosvita Walanda : email@example.com , latest on June 23rd 2016.
NOTE: A failure to follow the above application format will result in applications being disregarded.
Only electronic applications accepted and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.