Hivos is an international organization that seeks new solutions to persistent global problems. With smart projects in the right places, we promote the empowerment and independence of citizens so that they can oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power, climate change and depletion of the earth.
The momentum for more transparency around public contracts has been growing rapidly. Increasing availability of contracting information, however, will only lead to meaningful change if citizens know about and can make effective use of that information.
Hivos, together with Article 19, is launching an international programme to build capacities of civil society organisations in low and lower middle income countries to advocate for more transparency in public contracting and to increase accountability based on that information. The programme will consist of global advocacy as well as national capacity building and advocacy in 6 countries in Latin America, Southeast Asia and Africa. Please find more information about the programme here: https://hivos.org/focal-area/
For its Hivos Southeast Asia (Hivos SEA) seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Country Engagement Developer (CED) – Open Contracting
Duty Station : Jakarta based
Report to : Regional Program Manager
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension subject to good performance and funding availability
The CED will work as a member of an international team working in The Netherlands, Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America. Each Region will have a dedicated Regional Programme Manager who will drive the regional Lobbying and Advocacy agenda in close collaboration with the Country Engagement Developers.
Brokering : Plan and implement networking/brokering events in the region according to the annual work plan
Portfolio : Develop portfolio of partners from civil society organizations, change agents within government, private sector, media and tech organizations
Capacity Building : Identify training needs among partners and initiate mentoring and other training necessary. Identify common capacity building needs and liaison.
Networking : Establish and maintain good relationships with stakeholders in country (civil society, tech community, government, private sector, and media, governance actors). Develop and maintain relationship and knowledge sharing with the Netherlands Embassy. Coordinate with national civil society coalitions within the Open Government Partnership (OGP) and other relevant initiatives such the Extractive Sector Transparency Initiative (EITI) and Construction Sector Transparency (CoST) among othersLearning : Use monitoring data to draw lessons and continuously support in-country partnership outputs to highest possible level of impact. Actively engage in programme-wide learning activities led by the M&E team.
Programme Management : Maintain high quality documentation throughout. Participate in country team meetings and annual strategic meeting.
Roles and responsibilities
- Analyse the scoping study for the country in which s/he is based and co-create the specific country level strategy and approach for implementation.
- Is responsible for the delivery of a coherent programme of activities in the country in which s/he is based, in line with the specific country plan and overall objectives.
- Build up a strong portfolio of partners nationally, identifying change agents on government and strong partners to act as infomediaries to help translate public contracting data and document into actionable information
- Contribute to the programmes monitoring and evaluation using outcome harvesting methodology,
- Coordinate and, where possible, conduct, capacity development trainings, including areas as advocacy skills training, analytical capacities to work with complex data, data journalism and data visualizations and mentoring opportunities
- Coordinate and participate in national advocacy, broker relationships
- Coordinate with national civil society coalitions within the Open Government Partnership (OGP) and other relevant initiatives such the Extractive Sector Transparency Initiative (EITI) and Construction Sector Transparency (CoST) among others.
- Encourage learning, sharing new ideas and the scaling-up of successful initiatives
- Organize the participatory elaboration of joint strategic plans for each country/sector, which will also feed into a broader regional agenda
- Elaborate risk analysis together with our partners to ensure that both they and the consortium understand the personal safety risks of engaging in specific advocacy activities and elaborate mitigation strategies
- Coordinate with relevant Dutch embassy in country
- Outreach to reach our inclusivity goals (including women and ‘offline communities’)
- Identification of ‘champions’ within government and private sector partners
- National coalition building and support: identifying and building collaborative relationships with strategic organizations, individuals and initiatives in support of programme objectives
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
communication, networking and facilitation skills|
team player, experienced operating in multi-stakeholder initiatives |
and experience to talk to high-level government representatives|
and the ability to work under pressure, prioritize and deliver in time|
understanding of transparency & accountability, citizen engagement as
well as open government and open data field in the respective country|
Affinity with and experience with civic technology and media
understanding of the particular country and its social, cultural and
political context especially on transparency, accountability and anti-corruption|
(major) local language and English skills|
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
The level of the position is graded in Grade: 10
(from 1 - 12 Hivos’s Salary Grade)
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com
no later than Aug 14th, 2016.
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘CED – Open Contracting’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://www.hivos.org/