A position most suitable for a mid- to senior-level expert in monitoring and evaluation with experience in Security and Justice programming who will be based in Jakarta. This will be a long term position.
We are a social enterprise with a mission to design and deliver tools for people who want to improve the world. We work at the forefront of efforts to understand and respond to the challenges of migration, conflict and justice issues in the 21st Century. Geographically, we operate in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, South-East Asia and Oceania. Farsight’s personnel are spread around the world and a lot of teamwork occurs remotely.
Farsight seeks an international monitoring and evaluation manager with experience performing monitoring and evaluation of Security and Justice activities for an anticipated program in Indonesia.
Security and Justice
Farsight’s approach to security and justice encompasses the traditional enforcement and security sectors, while also addressing the needs of marginalized groups.
· We have performed mid and end-term evaluations of country programs for national governments, aid agencies and international organizations, including an evaluation of a program aimed at improving relations between law enforcement actors and the local community. In all our efforts, Farisght’s activities are focused on maximizing positive impact for the beneficiary.
· We believe that violent extremism is a big threat to global security and is a huge problem for some of the world’s most vulnerable people. Our expertise is in local research and evaluation to identify the most effective approaches that help communities counter violent extremism.
· We are currently researching the experience of a persecuted religious minority group in Indonesia. We will develop a protection mechanism to increase the security and access to justice of members of this community.
In all our efforts, maximizing positive impact for the beneficiaries is central to our approach. We are aware that to design effective programming for security and justice projects that will have long-lasting impact for the beneficiaries, we need to have a robust and flexible monitoring and evaluation framework.
You will lead monitoring and evaluation for a multi-year program, including leadership of a team of Indonesian and foreign experts. Your responsibilities will include:
· Lead the design of an M&E framework.
· Recommend, design and implement quantitative and qualitative methods to gather and interpret information on program performance.
· Collect and analyze data, and coordinate your team’s contributions to project communications and reporting requirements.
As the above examples demonstrate, you will enjoy a diverse set of challenges. Your basic mission is to help the program and implementing organizations to understand how well the program is performing, what works and why, and to maximize performance. Ultimately, the purpose of your role is to improve justice for vulnerable groups in Indonesia.
Working with Farsight
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as positive features of Farsight’s work environment and culture:
· The organization combines entrepreneurialism with a focus on social impact.
· You work with highly diverse people and across a diversity of contexts.
· There is a high level of trust that supports you to work autonomously.
· The people in the Enterprise encourage innovation and experimentation.
· You are never bored and always challenged.
Current and former personnel have noted the points below as negative features of Farsight’s work environment and culture:
· Collaborating with geographically dispersed teams requires flexibility and patience.
· Working remotely can make you feel isolated and so requires you to invest time in communication.
· Travel schedules are heavy.
· A high-growth phase means problem-solving as the Enterprise’s systems evolve quickly.
An excellent candidate
To succeed in this position, you would start with the following:
· At least seven years of monitoring and evaluation experience. We value experience in the development sector and experience in results management for organizations outside of the development sector.
· Experience in conducting monitoring and evaluation of Security and Justice programming. This could include experience in designing the framework or conducting the evaluation. In particular, experience working on evaluation for prevention programs would be advantageous.
· Demonstrated capacity to design monitoring and evaluation frameworks and make decisions on methods. You will have successfully used approaches such as: combining quantitative and qualitative information for evaluation purposes; a theory of change; a logical framework.
· Proven success planning and leading evaluations for large, complex projects requiring strong communication skills to liaise with multiple stakeholders.
· Proficiency in English. Basic skills in Bahasa Indonesia would be an advantage for this role, but not mandatory.
To apply for this role
1. On or before 25 September 2016, send a CV and introductory email or cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Your email introduction or cover letter should include only the following:
A. A paragraph detailing your understanding of the requirements in conducting monitoring and evaluation for security or justice projects. How are they different to standard evaluations? What are the key changes you would like to monitor and how would you measure these? Focus here should be on preventive programs and measuring changes in attitudes and beliefs.
B. A paragraph providing an example of your supervision of a team. What was the context? What was the team supposed to do? What were your achievements as a supervisor? What evidence do you have for those achievements?
If you do not follow the instructions above, you will not be considered for short-listing.
We will screen your application within two weeks. If short-listed, we will invite you to an interview.
Application deadline: 25 September 2016