TheInternational Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is theworld's largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies.As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work isguided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality,independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Find outmore on: www.ifrc.org
TheInternational Federation-Country Cluster Support Team (CCST)
invitesapplications from eligible candidates for the following position:
Climate and Resilience Advisor
Classification Level: Manager
Date ofIssue : 21 September 2016
Date ofClosing : 04 October 2016
ContractType: Fixed Term
Duration:12 months (possible extension)
- To supportin-country climate related strategic partnerships to
influence policy, practiceand investment discussions and/or decisions
and promote the use, mainstreamingof and/or institutionalization of
Integrated Risk Management (IRM).
- Responsible foroptimising Red Cross Red Crescent Climate Centre’s
involvement in support ofthe SPfR partners within its established
frameworks and in accordance with itsRed Cross Red Crescent mandates and
- Ensure theeffective coordination between the SPfR partners and
proactively work with theRed Cross Red Crescent Movement, especially
National Societies (NSs) and theInternational Federation of the Red
Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) to ensurestrategic influencing to enhance
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall, promoteclimate related Science-Policy-Practice links,
including the EarlyWarning-Early Action approach (& sharing ENSO
forecasts etc.), directlysupporting the in-country Partners for
Resilience and the IFRC.
- Support SPfRpartners in engaging in IRM policy processes to further enhance resiliencebuilding.
- Help carry lessonslearned from local practices to national policy makers and vice versa.
- Facilitateengagement between in-country partners to optimize synergies in the strategicIRM related policy engagements.
- Support to thein-country SPfR and the IFRC, including on the
deliverables defined during theinception phase and the country team
- Liaiseclosely with RCCC thematic leads to provide in–country support
on the themesidentified in Annex 1. In addition, maintain close
coordination with RCCCregional and global staff and regional SPfR
partners, IFRC and Red Cross andRed Crescent National Societies.
- Engagein all planning and coordination meetings of SPfR partners,
contribute toproject M&E and provide regular reporting to the
Climate Centre andpartners.
- In linewith RCRC’s auxiliary role to the government, ensure proactive
engagement withthe latter, in close coordination and partnership with
the National Society andIFRC.
- Helpidentify and meet capacity building needs and opportunities in SPfR alliancepartners.
- Supportthe facilitation of Climate Centre-led capacity building and
knowledgemanagement initiatives. (See Annex 2. for an initial lists with
new ideas andactivities to enhance Capacity Building and knowledge
- Helppromote climate-smart policies into national and subnational
practices (throughClimate Centre representation where needed and support
to partnerrepresentation in relevant policy processes).
- Promote,monitor and document cross-learning between SPfR and Red Cross and Red CrescentMovement.
Qualification & Experience
- Relevant universitydegree or equivalent qualification
- Extensiveexperience in the development of climate related policy and
strategies, andsupporting multidisciplinary and complex projects /
programs on Resilience andconfidence in engaging in and supporting
high-level policy discussions.
- Experience withresilience-building initiatives, understanding of the need for combining IRMperspectives.
- Experience with theUN system, other intergovernmental organizations and/or Development Banks ispreferred.
- Experience workingwith the Red Cross Red Crescent movement is preferred.
- Knowledge of andexperience with international climate related policy
and/or financingmechanisms, and how these are translated to national
- Good knowledge ofand affinity with the functioning of the Red Cross
and its fundamentalprinciples, mandate and roles is important.
- Ability to provideanalyses and to compose policy briefs on climate change.
- Good understandingof climate change and its humanitarian implications.
- Mentoring skills tohelp others score high in policy engagements.
- Appetite forlearning, testing and applying innovative techniques for learning, training andpolicy influencing.
- Accustomed to acomplex international environment with opposing players, sensitive to politicalrelations.
- Proven written andverbal communication skills (proposals, reports, texts for externalcommunication) in English.
- FunctionalCompetencies: Strategic orientation, building alliances, leadership, empoweringothers, solution oriented.
Onlycandidates meeting the above requirements are requested to apply. Applicationsshould be addressed by E-mail to: Indonesia.firstname.lastname@example.org
Pleaseindicate on the subject heading: Climate and Resilience Advisor.