Hivos Southeast Asia is an International non-governmental organization guided by humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos Southeast Asia (Hivos SEA) seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Community Engagement & Gender Officer-SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Field Project Manager
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the ‘Iconic Island’. Hivos Southeast Asia aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy to the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency on fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the world.
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is working to achieve two outcomes; improvement of rural livelihoods through utilization of renewable energy in rural communities; and sustainable business models to create market (energy market and energy appliances market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The Community Engagement and Gender Officer will be responsible for implementing gender related activities under the Sumba Iconic Island and fostering local community active engagement in the project. He/she will report directly to Field Project Manager and working closely with the field team and Gender Consultant. This position will be based in Sumba office, NTT.
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realizing 100% renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. Develop instruments to integrate and monitor gender aspects in Sumba Iconic Island activities
3. Prepare and deliver a gender mainstreaming programme to team members, partners and target beneficiaries
4. Ensuring that gender agreed indicators are efficiently being met according to Hivos Southeast Asia and donor’s requirements
5. Where appropriate deliver a ToT programme for local people to create a group gender and energy advocators
6. Provide support to surveys and research activities undertaken in the programme target areas to ensure proper gender integration
7. Together with Field Project Implementor, identify new locations/areas for potential gender and renewable energy implementation involving local community and partner especially women
8. Provide support and guidance to local implementing partner to ensure projects activities are promoting active involvement of community member especially women and implemented in accordance with approved project documents and meet Hivos Southeast Asia’ donor compliance standards, rules and regulations.
9. Identify capacity gaps and gender training needs for local partners to improve their skills in project management and implementation.
10. Contribute to the development and implementation of gender sensitive monitoring systems and do regular field visits to program targeted districts and communities and assist ME&L Officer in monitoring the implementation.
11. Contribute to knowledge development and facilitate document processes, models, best practices and lessons learnt on community engagement and gender mainstreaming into access energy activities
12. Advocate to local authorities and communities on gender inclusive approach in energy projects
13. Ensure expenses are reported in parallel with activities implementation and coordinate with finance staff on financial reporting.
14. Contribute to dissemination of results and sharing of information through website articles, presentations, contributions to brochures, travelling exhibit, etc.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
- A degree in social science or equivalent
- Proven experience and understanding in gender mainstreaming in development programmes/projects in particular renewable energy
- Experience knowledge of the challenges with respect to gender mainstreaming, preferably within renewable energy
- Good understanding of the socio-economic, gender and development projects.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills including public speaking in Bahasa Indonesia, working knowledge and experience in English.
- Show successful track record working in and within multidisciplinary team.
- Experience in coordination of research activities and monitoring and evaluation
- Strong interpersonal communication to effectively interact with civil society organizations, government officials and community.
- Sound experience in contributing to partnerships and multi actor initiatives
- Previous working experience in an international environment/organization would be an advantage
- Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal environment.
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
Community Engagement & Gender Officer graded in Grade: 7 (from 1-12 Hivos’s salary grade)
How to apply?
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 21 October 2016.
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘Community Engagement & Gender Officer-SII’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.