Junior Certification Officer
Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a not-for-profit international
development organization founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago. It
has built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in
Asia, Africa and Latin America working with local partners to equip
communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and
connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic
services - empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own
development. Using market based approaches, SNV is committed to reducing
poverty by catalysing environmentally sustainable solutions for the poor in
agriculture, energy, water & sanitation, and climate change.
SNV is working with a consortium of international and local partners led by
Euro Consult Mott MacDonald to deliver the Berbak Green Prosperity
1. The Program
The BGPP will work in Jambi, Sumatra in the 250,000 ha peatland dominated
Berbak landscape. It aims to rehabilitate degraded peatland and provide
enhanced and alternative economic opportunities for communities that derive
their livelihoods from palm oil production and other peatland-based
agricultural activities/enterprises. It will deliver four components:
1. Peatland, Land Use Zoning, Hydrological Rehabilitation and Water
Management to establish the biophysical basis for GHG emission reductions
and land use to enable green prosperity. It involves canal-blocking to
reverse peatland drainage and improve community farm water management
2. Smallholder Enterprise and Farm Systems focuses on improving smallholder
yields and income from palm oil, rubber, rice and aquaculture and helping
palm oil smallholders on the border of the landscape to deliver sustainable
production in line with emissions reduction goals.
3. Private Sector Commitment and Action to ensure that companies operating
in the landscape understand the sustainability context and apply relevant
policies and practices. It will focus on oil palm and HPH concessions and
involve the use of palm oil mill effluent (POME) for renewable energy.
4. Promoting District and Province-wide Green Prosperity.
This assignment is to engage a Junior Oil Palm Smallholder Certification
officer under component 2 to support the Berbak Green Prosperity Partnership
program implementation in Jambi. The debate concerning sustainability of oil
palm production is ongoing, as problems with deforestation, loss of
biodiversity and social issues are still associated with oil palm
cultivation and expansion. Improving yields is a key aspect of
sustainability, as higher yields per hectare improve land use efficiency and
decrease the need for expansion into pristine natural areas to meet demands.
Oil palm certification is considered as part to include the smallholder into
the value chains and market access for smallholders.
2. Scope of Work and Outputs
Junior Oil Palm Smallholder Certification Officer
This position will work with oil palm smallholders and company
representatives to prepare the oil palm certification for smallholder
including Better Management Practices (BMP), organization strengthening and
encourage the smallholder to be included into the value chains through
inclusive business approach. These practices will integrate AKVO system and
other relevant SNV's tools into broad oil palm activities in various
S/He should work closely with oil palm certification senior officer to make
sure the oil palm project implementation is working well in line with SNV
goals and objectives.
1. Plan & implement Oil Palm certification for target groups of
smallholders with company representative for the clients;
2. Provide support on preparing documentation to smallholders during Oil
Palm certification process;
3. Assist a Master Trainers of oil palm certification during training
4. Assist senior officer of oil palm smallholder certification to
implement activities management;
5. Engage with companies and smallholder representatives to implement
oil palm smallholder certification
6. Provide feedback from the Oil Palm smallholder on the certification
7. Perform any additional requirements if and when identified and within
the scope of Oil Palm Activities (in consultation with line manager and
3. Time schedule
One year service provider contract with maximum of 80 working days and
expectation of extension (project duration). contract is expected can be
started on early November 2016.
4. Duty Station
Jambi with frequent travel to the site areas.
5. Skills and experience required
* Experience in program management - including planning, project
design, operations management, human resources management and
* The ability to work in an inclusive and collegial way with NGO
partners, local government, local companies and other stakeholders.
* An advanced degree in, and at least 3 years' experience working in,
one of more areas of: oil palm, conservation, green economics, sustainable
agriculture, cooperative development, socio economics
* Experience in working in provincially based programs; experience in
Jambi or the region would be an advantage
* High quality writing skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
6. how to apply
Please send application letter directly addressing the candidate profile and
CV to <mailto:procurement.snv@gmail.
October 2016 at the latest with subject: "Officer-Oil Palm Certification"