The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is a conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people. In Indonesia, TNC has been supporting improved natural resource planning and management for 25 years, including working with government, private sector, and local communities. We currently have an opening for:
Sustainable Fisheries Specialist
The Sustainable Fisheries Specialist promotes sustainable utilization and management of near shore fisheries in the Lesser Sunda region. The assignment is to ensure evidence of introduction of the new innovative sustainable fisheries management concept, including pairing exclusive access rights and reserves to local stakeholders that eventually yield in gaining support from them on the concept, data collection and analysis to support development of Fisheries Management Plan. S/he takes the lead in working with both local and national government to improve fisheries management policies. S/he ensures development of Fisheries Management Plan and development of fisheries co-management institution.
· Ensure fish catch monitoring program is implemented in Sumbawa, West Nusa Tengara and Rote
· Ensure data management Committees are established to feed the sustainable fisheries policy in Sumbawa and/or West Nusa Tenggara.
· Ensure technical Draft for the Fisheries Management Plan is produced, covering the recommendation for spatial allocations for fisheries management areas, exclusive rights for sustainable and responsible fisheries as well as other required management recommendations
· Develop lessons learn of best practices from sustainable fisheries implementation in West Nusa Tenggara and Rote
The Sustainable Fisheries Specialist reports to the Indonesia Coastal and Ocean Program (ICOP) Conservation and Marine Planning Senior Manager and is based in Jakarta with possible frequent travel to Bali and Lesser Sunda.
· BA/BS degree (Master’s preferred) and 5 years’ experience in conservation practice or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Demonstrated experience in land, marine, fisheries and water conservation practice or policy
· Experience in developing practical applications of scientific concepts and technical innovations for conservation and fisheries purposes
· Knowledge of methods and standards of fisheries information systems and initiatives
· Excellent verbal and written communications in both Bahasa Indonesia and English
· Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including staffing, workloads and finances under deadlines
· Experience developing partnerships (partners, community, government)
· Negotiation skills