The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis.
SUTRI NAMA as registered with the UNFCCC aims to tackle challenges of growing urban traffic congestion and increasing urban transport related greenhouse gas emissions by transforming urban transport in Indonesia with a mix of capacity-building and investment measures provided through a national sustainable urban transport programme. The pilot phase of SUTRI NAMA will be implemented starting from the year 2016 with support from the NAMA Facility provided through GIZ as the delivery organization.
SUTRI NAMA has been added a technical assistance component funded by the State Secretariat of Economic Affairs of Switzerland (SECO). The new component targets at technical advisory related to the development and start-up of bus rapid transit (BRT) corridors in selected pilot cities of Indonesia. The component will be active both at local and national level in the field of BRT planning, project management support, BRT operations management, public transport funding as well as reform of the private minibus-sector towards participation in operating consortiums. At national level coordination has to be sought between the several relevant line ministries; best-practice examples / project achievements have to be documented, published and promoted for replication.
Further information: www.transport-indonesia.org
We are seeking one qualified Indonesian candidate for the following position:
Senior Advisor Sustainable Urban Transport & BRT
- Under general supervision, the Senior Advisor is responsible for the project interventions on national level, advising the partners on the elaboration and implementation of national strategies for sustainable urban transport.
- This position possesses a specialized, technical expertise within the area of assignment.
- Leading a team of technical advisors of the project component
- Supervising the results provided by short term experts and consulting firms.
- Incumbents are typically assigned significant responsibility to carry out components of the project and often exercise independent judgment in the performance of all duties.
- Technical assistance to national and local governmental institutions, guiding the implementation of BRT and improvement of advanced bus systems including the regulatory framework in national level. Development of quality standards for bus operation in compliance with the targets of INDOBUS at city and national level;
- Liaison with partner institutions at senior leadership level;
- Compile project progress reports in line with the M&E plan of the project component and based on contributions of other project staff; for that purpose, obtain deeper understanding on GIZ´s Capacity Works and assist in applying its tools for the project implementation;
- Act as line manager of other technical advisors of the INDOBUS project component including execution of cooperative leadership, guidance, target-setting, technical supervision, annual feedback and performance evaluation etc. as per GIZ standards;
- Provide policies and strategies for Medium Term Development Planning for Urban Transport to support the Ministry of Transportation, Bappenas and other line ministries;
- Deliver oral and written contributions at senior level to events, conferences and other outreach activities, which the project engages in prepare training materials and conduct training session on sustainable urban transport themes;
- Prepare correspondence, reports and studies on the project´s subject-matter and on monitoring and evaluation of project results;
- Gather and analyze transportation data and information; prepare relevant transportation planning studies and analysis in line with the targets of the project component and act as a resource for information and data used in the course of the project;
- Answers inquiries and dissemination of information regarding transportation planning related issues to Indonesian partner institutions and external stakeholders;
- Engage as senior team member of the overarching SUTRI NAMA project in tasks and accomplishment of targets of other project components;
- Develop and contribute to work plans and budget estimates for the project component;
- Obtain sound understanding of GIZ’s comprehensive methodological and technical approaches on urban mobility and related capacity building including making optimum use of GIZ´s international, regional and Indonesian projects and initiatives including utilization of project materials, concepts, expertise etc.
- Evaluation of BRT progress in pilot cities as backbone of the sustainable transport, in terms of technical operation and management. Evaluation and advice is to be presented in the national BRT forum and other related events;
- Coordination and moderation of staff meetings; attend various internal and external meetings on transportation related matters (also beyond urban transport and in support of other relevant GIZ projects as required);
- Actively contribute to anchor the SUTRI NAMA project within the global GIZ transport and urban mobility portfolio through engagement in communication and collaboration and to present and by presenting and promoting SUTRI NAMA developments, approaches and lessons learnt as contribution to global knowledge management; encourage any subordinate advisors accordingly;
- Evaluate project progress identify chances and weaknesses in project delivery and advise Principal Advisor;
- Manage counterpart expectations by maintaining good communication and managing support interventions through project team;
- Advise Principal advisor and independently conduct liaison and communication with officials of partner ministries and institutions;
- Bridge communication with Indonesian counterparts and facilitate and promote project objectives, activities and conduct.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Within his/her qualification, execute special tasks that are relevant to the project on request of the Principal Advisor;
- Assists in and/or carry out other project activities and other tasks, as assigned;
- Undertake further job training related to his/her position and duties. Specific training needs shall be identified and appropriate programs selected jointly with Principal Advisor.
B. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Academic degree of an international university minimum at masters level – preferably with a doctorate degree in a relevant field of expertise - in transport engineering, transport management, urban planning, civil engineering, or equivalent;
- Solid experience as project or team leader with proven management skills
- 10 years professional experience in the field of urban transport/mobility, ideally with a special focus on planning and/or management of public transport, preferably with subject-matter experience in BRT
- Minimum 10 years of experience working with national and local governments in Indonesia in relevant technical fields (e.g. Ministry of Transportation, BAPPENAS, Ministry of Public Works and Housing etc.)
- Experience in institutional & policy analysis, development of legal and administrative documents and capacity building will be an advantage
- Experience in international development cooperation and results-based monitoring would be an asset, experience with senior level liaison (echelon 1)
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Sound communication and writing skills in the English language
- Team leadership skills
- Strong methodological and conceptual skills in project management
- Strong social and communication skills
- Proficiency in the Indonesian and English language (reading & writing)
- Excellent command of MS – Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Fluent language skills in English
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Duty Station: Jakarta
Expect to Join: a.s.a.p
Direct Superior: Principal Advisor of SUTRI NAMA Project
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on 28 February 2017.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: SN-SUT&BRT
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate]