The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis.
SUTRI NAMA as registered with the UNFCCC aims to tackle challenges of growing urban traffic congestion and increasing urban transport related greenhouse gas emissions by transforming urban transport in Indonesia with a mix of capacity-building and investment measures provided through a national sustainable urban transport programme. The pilot phase of SUTRI NAMA will be implemented starting from the year 2016 with support from the NAMA Facility provided through GIZ as the delivery organization.
SUTRI NAMA has been added a technical assistance component funded by the State Secretariat of Economic Affairs of Switzerland (SECO). The new component targets at technical advisory related to the development and start-up of bus rapid transit (BRT) corridors in selected pilot cities of Indonesia. The component will be active both at local and national level in the field of BRT planning, project management support, BRT operations management, public transport funding as well as reform of the private minibus-sector towards participation in operating consortiums. At national level coordination has to be sought between the several relevant line ministries; best-practice examples / project achievements have to be documented, published and promoted for replication.
Further information: www.transport-indonesia.org
We are seeking one qualified Indonesian candidate for the following position:
Advisor MRV & Environment in Transport
The responsibilities of the Advisor MRV & Environment will vary. The focus of the position is on GHG emission in transport at national and city level, including target setting, monitoring & evaluation of progress and project results as well as liaison with officials (see specific tasks in section C); in addition, the incumbent may be requested to support project leadership in project management and results-based monitoring. Overarching result of the advisor´s assignment is to establish a framework, implement procedures and provide a thorough understanding and enabling of relevant counterpart staff about GHG-emissions, climate & MRV in urban transport both at national level and in the pilot cities of the project in order to meet the project´s targets. Existing national and international methodologies and best practices are to be studied and applied in the project context.
Additional responsibilities could include any of the following activities:
- Provide technical advice and assistance on climate issues and/or MRV of urban transport to the entire SUTRI NAMA project team and stakeholders (government institutions, relevant organizations and third parties, other projects within GIZ)
- Manage international and national consultants working on MRV
- Together with relevant counterparts at national and local level and the consultants, to establish a MRV system for urban transport in Indonesia
Climate/MRVs and Urban Transport
- Provide technical advice, inputs and recommendation to the team and stakeholders related to sustainable urban transport and climate/MRVs, including but not limited to training material, capacity building concept, project implementation
- Gather data and information from literature, consultants, other staff, relevant stakeholders, or other resources and provide technical summary and recommendation to the team and Team leader
- Prepare and develop technical reports and publications in the area of climate/MRVs in transport where required
- Deliver oral and written contributions at senior level to events, conferences and other outreach activities, which the project engages in
- Prepare training materials and conduct training session in the area of climate/MRVs in transport both to national and city level;
- Develop Terms of Reference of consultants related to urban transport and climate/MRVs
- Together with the counterparts, the team and relevant consultants, establish a MRV system for urban transport in Indonesia
- Evaluate project progress identify chances and weaknesses in project delivery and advise Team leader
Networking and Cooperation
- Advise Team leader and independently conduct liaison and communication with officials of partner ministries and institutions (e.g. particularly institutional units responsible for climate & environment such as the Indonesian Ministry for Environment KLHK)
- Be the contact person of the project to relevant government institutions related to urban transport and climate/MRVs
- Actively contribute to anchor the SUTRI NAMA project within the global GIZ urban mobility and climate portfolios through engagement in communication and collaboration and by presenting and promoting SUTRI NAMA developments, approaches and lessons learnt as contribution to global knowledge management; encourage any subordinate advisors accordingly
- Manage counterpart expectations by maintaining good communication and managing support interventions through project team
- Advise Team leader and independently conduct liaison and communication with officials of partner ministries and institutions
- Bridge communication with Indonesian counterparts and facilitate and promote project objectives, activities and conduct.
Project Management (if operationally required, to an extend assigned by the team leader)
- Assist team leader and relevant stakeholders (including projects in municipalities) to develop annual work plan and budgeting
- Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation system and procedures based on agreed log frame and based on relevant best practice and applicable standards
- Develop monthly quarterly and annual project reporting format and template to be used by all team members (including projects in municipalities)
- Gather, analyses and summarize data and information related to project implementation
- Monitor project implementation and develop regular (monthly, quarterly, annual) project progress reports to relevant stakeholders
- Monitor technical implementation of consultancies, provide report to Team leader where required
- Provide recommendations to Team leader in relevance to project progress and implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Together with Office Manager, assist Team leader to ensure that application of the standard operating procedures (SOPs) are in place based on GIZ’ and donors’ requirements.
- Revise or produce new SOPs if required
- Develop and review Terms of Reference of consultants where required
- Design and develop knowledge management system of the project based on GIZ standards
- Together with the project team: implement the system,
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation
- Continuously improve the system
- Together with other staff, liaise with relevant officials of government institutions and other stakeholders
- If assigned to do so, take over the functional and/or disciplinary lead of other technical advisors of the team
- Answers inquiries, present and disseminate information related to the project
- Coordinate and attend relevant meetings, workshops and trainings
- Provide inputs and articles related to project articles, website contents, and publication materials
- Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Team leader
B. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master degree of an international university; PhD in environment or urban transport subjects will be an advantage;
- At least 3 years’ experience in managing projects in development works with international cooperation at national level;
- Experience and networks within the relevant Indonesian public sector (at level of echelon 1-3);
- Strong methodological and conceptual skills in project management;
- Experience in institutional & policy analysis, development of legal and administrative documents and capacity building will be an advantage; possibly in environmental related subjects;
- Experience in managing projects with budgets more than three million Euro and including activities in several cities will be an advantage;
- Experience in the fields of climate policy and mitigation / emission reduction, urban mobility, the transport sector or urban development would be an advantage;
- Extensive experience in dealing and working with multi-cultural stakeholders, including government institutions at national and local levels, non-government institutions, donors, etc: experience in facilitating, liaising and building consensus amongst stakeholders will be an advantage;
- Excellent written and spoken in English and Bahasa Indonesia; German language skills would be an advantage;
- Travel to the project sites (several cities across Indonesia).
Duty Station: Jakarta
Expect to Join: a.s.a.p
Direct Superior: Principal Advisor of SUTRI NAMA Project
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on 28 Feb 2017.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: SN-MRV&ET
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate]