TERMS OF REFERENCE
NATIONAL CONSULTANTS FOR PROVISION OF DOCUMENT TRANSLATION SERVICES (ENGLISH TO INDONESIA AND VICE VERSA) and SIMULTANEOUS TRANSLATORS
Event venues (simultaneous translation) and home based for document translation
Type of Contract:
Special Service Agreement (SSA)
English and Bahasa Indonesia
(date when the selected candidates are expected to start)
1 March 2017
Expected Duration of Assignment:
12 months (1 March 2017 – 29 February 2018)
(Maximum 25 days of simultaneous translation assignment period; UN Women does not warrant the maximum of 25 days will be purchased during the term of the Agreement and 1,000 pages for document translation; UN Women does not warrant the maximum of 1,000 pages will be purchased during the term of the Agreement).
The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) was established by General Assembly resolution 64/289 of 2 July 2010 on system-wide coherence with the mandate to assist Member States and the United Nations system to progress more effectively and efficiently towards the goal of achieving gender equality and the empowerment of women. In Indonesia UN Women develop some programmes to implement its mandates; i.e. Ending Violence against Women, Women’s Peace and Security, and Integrating Gender Equality into National and local policies and plans. Through its programme implementation, UN Women facilitates capacity building for both government and civil society organizations, produce knowledge products on women’s human rights that can be used as evidence based advocacy tools. Throughout the implementation, UN Women engages with local and international resource persons to share international knowledge on the related issues as well as to bring out the local knowledge to international fora.
In order to bridging language gaps during implementation of its programme, UN Women Indonesia is seeking consultants to provide services as documents and simultaneous translators from English into Bahasa Indonesia and vice versa for UN Women events in 2017.
Facilitating the language gaps, UN Women is going to hire consultants to conduct
II. Objectives of the Assignment
The objective of this consultancy is:
- To provide accurate, clarity, cohesion and conformity of documents translation from English to Indonesia and vice versa following United Nations standards, policy and practice are in place.
- To provide simultaneous translation from English to Indonesia and vice versa following United Nations standards, policy and practice are in place.
III. Scope of Work/Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of National Program Officers, the consultants will perform a task on provision of documents and simultaneous translation from English into Bahasa Indonesia and from Bahasa Indonesia into English for UN Women Indonesia.
IV. Duration of the Assignment
The duration of the assignment is within the period of 1 March 2017 – 29 February 2018.
V. Expected Deliverables
Deliverables of the consultants are translated documents and provision of simultaneous translations from English to Indonesia and vice versa for UN Women Indonesia events throughout year of 2017.
· UN Women will provide the cconsultants with background materials prior to the assignment as documents and simultaneous translators.
· The consultants are expected to work using his/her own computer, but may access the UN Women office printing or relevant documents or should he/she be required to work on-site at any point during the assignment.
· For consultants as simultaneous translators, UN Women will cover the costs of travels for outside Jakarta assignments and daily subsistence allowance (DSA) per standard UN rate.
VII. Performance Evaluation
Consultant’s performance will be evaluated based on: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered.
VIII. Required experience and qualifications
The consultant should fulfill the following requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in Indonesian studies, English literature, gender and women’s studies, social science, law, political science, human rights, etc.
· A minimum of 5 years professional experience in translation of social, human rights, law, and women’s issues.
· Familiarity with terminologies and concepts of gender equality in English and in Bahasa Indonesia
· Knowledge of the UN and international organization’s standards for communication and knowledge products is an advantage.
Language and other skills
· Perfect command of English
· Solid writing and analytical abilities with sensitivity to nuance and context
IX. Application Procedure and Deadline
Interested candidates are requested to submit electronic application to: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to: email@example.com not later than, Monday, 20 February 2017 at 17:00 UTC+ 07:00.
X. Submission package
2. Financial proposal. The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount broken down into:
- Translation fee (by number of source page) for document translation
- Simultaneous translation (daily rate, half-day rate, overtime/hour)
All applications must include (as an attachment) the CV and the financial proposal. Applications without financial proposal will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
3. Assessment breakdown:
70% - review of CV