(Location: East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), Short Term: up to 7 days)
Project Overview and Role
PRISMA is an agricultural development program which follows a Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) approach and will contribute to a 30%, or more, increase in net incomes for 300,000 poor rural female and male farmers. PRISMA differs from other programs in that it works indirectly through a range of partners to generate systemic and sustainable changes in agricultural markets, which in turn benefit poor farmers. It focuses on facilitating systemic changes, rather than intervening directly, and building partnerships with the private sector around commercially viable opportunities.
In East Nusa Tenggara province, particularly in Timor Island, maize is considered as one of the most important crops and is the staple food for most of the island’s population. However, farmers in this area still follow traditional cultivation practices and mostly use retained local maize seed variety, which often results in a low productivity. PRISMA has been working with small business who produces composite maize seed to overcome the low productivity issue of maize farmers in Timor Island by promoting quality maize seed. These small businesses are CV Tiga Putri Mandiri, UD Tunas Harapan and Yayasan Mitra Tani Mandiri. Activities in this intervention includes promoting the use and access to buy composite maize seeds, giving information about good agriculture processes ranging from cultivating up to harvesting maize. It is expected that this intervention will increase maize farmer’s productivity as well as farmer’s income.
This intervention also provides capacity building for partnering seed producers to enhance their technical capability in producing quality maize seed as well as capacity to grow and sustain their business. In order to provide knowledge and skill to manage seed producer’s long tern business, a consultant is needed to equipped seed producers with business planning knowledge.
Applications close on 27th March 2017. Please apply via thislink.
The post is open for Indonesian national only. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
The main objective of this consultancy is to provide capacity building for maize seed producers in NTT to develop their business plan, financial planning and sales/marketing strategy. Moreover, the objectives of this consultancy are as follows:
- Increase the knowledge of maize seed producers in developing and managing their business.
- Provide skills for maize seed producers to develop their business plan in producing and commercializing maize composite seed.
- Discuss and provide solutions towards maize seed producer’s constraint in developing and operating maize seed business.
- Motivate maize seed producer’s to sustainably expanding their business.
- Facilitate seed companies to develop their business plan for the next 3-5 years.
Under the direction of the Maize NTT Sub-Sector Team, the Consultant is expected to improve maize seed producer’s knowledge and skills in developing their business. The areas of work are outlined below:
- Discuss with Maize NTT subsector team to understand maize seed producer profile.
- Develop content and deliver approximately 1 to 2-day business planning workshop to maize seed producers. The workshop should cover topic related with business goal setting, marketing and sales strategy, and resource planning particularly financial planning (operational and profit/loss budget).
- Discuss maize producer’s business constraints and provide relevant solutions in developing and expanding their seed business.Review and provide feedback to maize seed producers towards their business plan after the workshop (1-day one-on-one mentoring with each seed producer).
Essential skills and experience:
- Minimal a bachelor degree in business/marketing/finance or other related discipline (Master’s Degree is an advantage).
- At least 5 years of experience in management or business consultancy, sales and marketing, business planning and strategy, finance, supply chain or agribusiness in private sector organizations.
- A strong record and experience in providing business advisory/training/capacity building to small and medium business in Indonesia is required.
- Ability to facilitate/mentor small medium enterprise to develop and finalise their business plan.
- Excellent communication skills in Bahasa Indonesia, both written and verbal.
Desirable set of skills and experience:
- Experience working in East Nusa Tenggara.
- Have knowledge of East Nusa Tenggara market culture.
- Strong conceptual and practical experience in business development.
- Preferable based in Surabaya or based in Kupang.