Development and Training Officer
: 2 (two) years
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is the biggest regional section of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) in which its Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia. UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people - more than half of the world population - and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programmes, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising local economic development, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, local finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment as well as good governance.
The Capacity Development and Training Officer or CDT Officer will be hired for 2 (two) years period with possibility of extension, based on performance, and will be placed at UCLG ASPAC Secretariat Office in Jakarta. The Post is to support the Capacity Development and Training Division and expected to contribute ideas to Programme Division.
Objective and goal:
- To provide assistance in developing and designing the strategies and technical issues concerning capacity development.
- To provide support in designing the training and capacity development plan.
- To provide assistance in drafting and consolidating the specific requirement of proposal related to capacity development and training.
- To provide support in identifying capacity development needs and opportunities.
- To be taking part on developing and producing the capacity development activities in website, publications, and social media.
Scope of Work/Key Duties
Under this Scope of Work, the CDT Officer will carry out the following key activities:
1. Support the design of the strategies and technical issues concerning capacity development and organizational strengthening.
2. Support the design of the organizational development capacity building plan, including training and curriculum development.
3. Support the design of strategies to promote knowledge development to facilitate policy formulation.
4. Support the design of the training and capacity development activities for UCLG ASPAC and implementing partner.
5. Provide assistance in developing, maintaining and updating the data base for capacity development and training, including members’ participation, resource persons/expertise and network.
6. Provide assistance on the preparation and conducting a regular training programme and prepare necessary documents and reports.
7. Provide assistance in monitoring and evaluating the training and capacity development programmes
8. Provide assistance in supporting research and proposal’s development related to capacity development and donors’ availability.
9. Provide assistance for members to participate in UCLG ASPAC activities, including the disseminating information regarding workshops, conferences, seminars and training agendas of partners to members.
10. Represents the Secretariat at meetings, functions and events as requested by the Secretary General and/or Capacity and Development Manager.
11. Take part in in conducting mapping of the programmes and training agenda carried out by Donor Agencies in which the topics are related to UCLG ASPAC thematic areas and needs of members.
12. Have close coordination with the Media and Communication Division in advertising and promoting capacity building and training programmes of UCLG ASPAC and key partners.
13. Have close coordination with the Strategic Services Division and the Members Service Division in evaluating members’ needs assessment.
14. Support the Secretary General and CDT Division in UCLG ASPAC Meetings including having close coordination with other Divisions in preparing the UCLG ASPAC Meetings.
15. Perform any other duties as required from time-to-time as assigned by the Secretary General and/or CDT Manager.
Special Requirements of the Assignment
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in development studies, social sciences and/or related fields.
· Minimum 5 (five) years of professional experience in capacity development and working in a similar position in an NGO and/or an International Organization.
· Demonstrated experience working with local governments, multi-donor agency and/or development partner.
· Advanced computer skills, particularly MS Office.
· Excellent communication and writing skills (English).
· Highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft/edit texts and to articulate ideas in clear, concise style to a variety of audiences, as well as facilitation skills.
· Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
· Honest, trustworthy and demonstrate sound work ethics.
· Ability to quickly establish professional rapport with colleagues and other persons
· Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines required.
· Effective written communication skills.
· Effective verbal, presentation and listening communication skills
· Positive work ethic with a willingness to learn.
· Considerable domestic and international travel may be required.
1. Database of mapping on training programs and donors working on capacity development of local governments.
2. Database of members’ engagement/participation in capacity building and training programs; and the pool of resource persons.
3. Number of training designed and implemented.
4. Short, medium and long terms plans and strategies of capacity development and training.
5. Reports, publications related to capacity development and training.
1. Updated database on potential donors and pool of resource persons or trainers.
2. Number of training carried out: trainees, trainers, best practices compilation, reports and publications.
3. Plan and strategies on capacity development
The post will be supervised by the Capacity and Development Manager.
Date lineplease submit your application letter and CV to : Finance@uclg-aspac.org with Subject : CDT Officer - Your name before June 2nd 2017