The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaounde, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
CIFOR is looking for
Freelance Graphic Designer
Freelance Graphic Designer
The graphic designer will take on short-term, product-based, assignments to produce international-quality publication design products. Tasks will be assigned to assist design and typesetting staff during high-volume periods to accommodate and support publications requests without delays and with highest quality.
Summary of responsibilities
This position is a non-scientific position. We are looking for someone who has a significant experience in graphic designing, typesetting long technical documents and working with charts, tables, maps, photos and detailed annexes and bibliographic lists.
In specific, the detail activities that consultant is responsible are as follow:
• Consult with clients and design and typesetting staff to determine project specs and deliverables;
• Ensure creative and design deliverables are representative of the project goals and CIFOR brand values;
• Provide advice and recommendations for design and typesetting options and supporting details such as photography, illustrations and printing specs;
• Develop project timelines as required, deliver projects on time and to highest standards.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor's degree, preferably in creative design or communications. Background in science or environmental studies is an advantage;
• Minimum 3 years' experience in graphic designing works and typesetting books, academic writing or reports;
• Mastery of adobe design package applications: InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat;
• Experience in proofreading of editorial publication process by using Adobe PDF mark-up;
• Excellent knowledge of print production/finishing, digital and offset printing knowledge, and camera ready formatting for printing;
• Highly proficient typography skills and can carefully input details and corrections, including effective version control and preparation for print;
• Past professional experience working in English.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
• An independent thinker who is self-motivated and able to juggle many projects and initiatives at one time;
• Ability to work quickly from concept creation to finished product;
• Comfortable taking constructive criticism as well as developing and presenting original ideas to staff and clients;
• Has creativity and takes initiative.
• Is capable of working independently as well as an effective team player;
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, with fluent written and spoken English.
Terms and Conditions
· This is a Consultancy position.
· CIFOR offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with skills and experience,
· This a home-based position but preferably in Bogor, Indonesia.
· The application deadline is 14 August 2017,
· We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
To apply, please visit our career site at
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website athttp://www.cifor.org