Project Overview and Role
The Government of Indonesia partners with the Government of Australia on an initiative to boost smallholder farmers’ incomes: The Australia-Indonesia Partnership for Rural Economic Development (AIP-Rural).
AIP-Rural is a program with 4 projects: PRISMA (agricultural development), TIRTA (irrigation), SAFIRA (value chain finance) and ARISA (applied agriculture research). It follows a Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) approach and will contribute to a 30%, or more, increase in net incomes for 300,000 smallholder farm households. It works in a range of sub-sectors in collaboration with farmers, businesses, government and civil society partners to increase the competitiveness of farm businesses through (i) increased productivity; (ii) improved business practices; (iii) a growing share of an expanding market; and (iv) the continuous adoption of innovations. The project works in five (5) provinces in Eastern Indonesia: East Java, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Nusa Tenggara Timur, West Papua and Papua.
Strengthening Agriculture Finance in Rural Areas (SAFIRA)
This is a program that improves smallholder farmers’ access to essential financial services, such as business and investment capital loans. The program facilitates a financial service model that can answer to farmers’ specific needs through a partnership between formal and informal financial institutions in rural areas. The program will also expand smallholder farmers’ financial access through key market stakeholders (including but not limited to input retailers, collectors, traders and manufacturing companies) in the value chain, with the goal of improving the net incomes of 12,000 smallholder farmers.
Applications close on 21st July 2017. Please apply via this link.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
• Submit a current Curriculum Vitae to be no more than Seven (7) A4 pages
• Define fee expectations per day excluding ancillary expenses (per diems, transport, accommodation etc).
• Please include two (2) referees and applicable daily rate
Under the direction of the SAFIRA Team Leader, the Consultant is expected to develop and deliver the training modules as outlined above to at least 2 local financial institutions in Indonesia. The areas of work are as outlined below:
1. Develop the training manual:
• Synthesize existing frameworks for VCF into a common understanding that would appeal to banks;
• Create a training framework that incorporates key learnings from previous SAFIRA trainings as well as the plethora of VCF manuals in publication;
• Develop training modules for various levels of the financial institution that would embed VCF within their operations;
• Ensure the training materials are generic enough to apply to various FI partners, yet applicable enough that they can practically implement quickly after receiving the training;
2. Apply the Training Manual (Concurrent):
• The consultant will apply the training manual module by module as it is developed to ensure applicability and seamless information from one module to the next;
• Under this contract the consultant should deliver the full set of modules to at least 2 FI partners;
• With this experience, the consultant will adjust and revise the modules as appropriate to reach a final product that may be used repeatedly with SAFIRA partners.
Essential skills and experience:
1. Minimal a bachelor degree in related discipline (Master’s Degree is an advantage);
2. At least 2 year of experience in value chain finance and ideally VCF in Indonesia;
3. Experience working with financial institutions in Indonesia;
4. Prior expertise in developing and delivering training materials, ideal in a private sector context;
5. Relevant experience in synthesizing bodies of knowledge into a single, practical resource; Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
6. Ideally fluent in English and Indonesian Bahasa;
7. Computer literate in Microsoft window applications is essential and ideally with other relevant training resource type applications (design, video editor, photo editor, etc.).
Desirable skills and experience:
1. Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently. Can handle multiple tasks effectively;